No announcement yet.

can i go live with a friend at 17 with a cps case out against my adopted parents

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • can i go live with a friend at 17 with a cps case out against my adopted parents 17 living in Texas. i was adopted last year and just now spoke up about my adopted father sexually abusing me. we have a cps case out and im now placed with my grandparents. my grandparents threatened to pack up all my stuff because i texted a counselor i use to talk with. i told the consoler about some of the things i didn't like about living here and they freaked out. i just told the counselor how i just want to get out of the house and hang out with a friend to distract my self and i don't like that my grandparents are always talking about my biological fathers death. i never complained about living her i just don't think its the best place for me to be. i wasn't planning on running away but now im considering going and living with a friend. my grandparents said if im not happy here i can just leave but i don't think they can just let me do that. they have no guardianship over me and im afraid my case worker will have to ask my adopted parents if i could say with a friend

  • #2
    This is my reply Thank you for writing us at NRS. It takes a lot of courage to reach out for help and we thank you for sharing your story. We are sorry that you had to experience that. You don’t deserve to be abused in any way and we are glad that you reported it. It seems that you feel like leaving your grandparents place is your only option, but you are concerned that your adoptive parents will have to be involved. In most cases 18 years old is usually the age an individual can leave home without permission. However, since you are under the age of 18, your grandparents can report you as a runaway and you will be returned home. Additionally, your friend could be charged with harboring a runaway. If safety is a concern at your grandparent’s house, you can report it to Child Protective Services. Although we are not experts on the law, you can contact non-emergency police or legal aid to answer legal questions. We are here to support you during this challenging time. If you would like to discuss in detail, please feel free to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chat on our website Sometimes having a safe space to share your feelings can bring about solutions not thought of. We hope to hear from you soon. Take care and be safe!
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove