No announcement yet.

Can a 17 year old minor file a restraining order against absent parents

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Can a 17 year old minor file a restraining order against absent parents

    I am 17 years 3 months old. I was adopted at the age of 2 and have resided with my adoptive parents for 15 years. They are both physically & mentally abusive. When I begin to feel comfortable with a therapist and it is suspected that my parents are the problem, they terminate the counseling services and have me start over building trust in a new therapist. Basically, I have had 4 new counseling agencies in 8 months, been kicked out 3x and put in the hospital twice on suicide lockdown because my parents claim I may cause harm to myself or another individual. I cannot get proper medical care because when I go to my appointments they have the police waiting to pick me up. They have filed a committal order under false allegations. After being kicked out numerous times and then falsely reported as a runaway, I chose not to return to my home because of the severe conflict in the home and physical abuse. I did finally confide in a therapist who made a report to DHS who in turn visited the home. Unfortunately. DHS did not remove me from the home, they recommended more family counseling. They also told me my mom filed a paper so they cannot talk to me alone. They said they can only talk to me if my mom is on the conference call. I bounce from couch to couch and have been out of the home for 3 months. I took it upon myself to seek & go to my own therapist. I had a full mental health and substance abuse evaluation done. I also did a urine test and tested negative for drugs. The Juvenile Attorney filled this paperwork with courts and had my committal order quashed. No inpatient or outpatient counseling was recommended for me. My adoptive parents are very controlling and don't take their depression medicine. 24 hours after my adoptive parents received notice of the court order revoking their commital order on me they filed another runaway report and filed a false report with DHS that I was smoking Marijuana with my biological mom. I am tired of the continued mental abuse and having to defend myself from countless false allegations. Can a 17 year old in my situation file a restraining order against my adoptive parents? Can National Runaway help me do this, file a DHS report against my parents for the abuse or can they call my local Sheriff's department for me and see what can be done. I have goals , school is starting and I can't even play football or attend school while I'm reported as a runaway. The cops just pick me up and put me back in the hands of the abuser and DHS failed me. Please help.

  • #2
    Hi there,

    Thank you for taking the time to write us here at NRS and we appreciate you sharing your situation with us. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. From what you have mentioned in this post, you have been incredible at advocating for yourself even though it is unfair you are in this position at all.

    We are not legal experts, so we cannot answer some of your questions specifically. From what we know, a protective or restraining order would likely need to involve child protective services (DHS). Although a legal expert may have more options for you that we do not know about. We would be happy to provide contact information for legal aid in your state if you contact us directly by phone or live chat. Child Help is an organization that helps youth who are in dangerous or unsafe homes and may be able to provide support as well,

    Additionally, your right to an education is protected through the McKinney Vento Act. Each school district is required to have a designated McKinney Vento Liaison to assist and support students with problems related to obtaining their education. You can find your local advocate at the following website.

    If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best

    We hope to hear from you soon.

    Be safe,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp