No announcement yet.

Seeking help for 17 year old partner in Canada

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Seeking help for 17 year old partner in Canada

    this might end up being long and all over the place, but i'm desperate for help surrounding my partner living in canada in a horrible situation and trying to get them out here to the states. things are getting very dire and i need any legal advice and resources i can get because i'm just so lost trying to figure out what to do.

    my partner, who i'll just refer to as T for now for sake of brevity, lives in canada with a very complicated situation. i'll do my best to outline things that may be relevant:
    - turned 17 in july 2021
    - lives with father and stepmother, bio mother was neglectful and may still be addicted to drugs but there is no contact with her
    - faces constant neglect and abuse and outright dismissal of mental issues when begging for treatment despite parents' knowledge of suicidal tendencies and other struggles, stepmother has even stated she doesn't care if he kills himself, HRT is refused as well as any kind of therapy
    - documents such as birth certificate, health card, SSID or anything that can be used for a passport or identification are kept from him
    - is not allowed to get a SIM card, or has to somehow buy one himself with no source of income but is also expected to get a job before turning 18 to pay $600 rent???? i do not know how he would be able to get a job without access to his SSID or having a phone number
    - parents would shut down any mention of getting a passport or some kind of ID because they would know he's trying to leave, making it feel impossible to ever get the documents needed for a passport, plus a guarantor is required
    - if he were to be admitted into a hospital for a suicide attempt his family would just make his life a living hell when he gets back home even more than it already is

    on the other hand, here is information about my situation:
    - turned 18 april 2021
    - living with parents who are willing to house and take T in and pay for any plane tickets or anything needed to help get him to the states
    - financially stable

    i just don't know what to do. i'm looking at how to get a passport in canada but there are just so many complications with the need for multiple documents and a guarantor, potentially T could get his aunt or something to act as guarantor but i just don't know how he could get all of this plus a passport photo without parental knowledge. not to mention how the hell he is supposed to get a visa to live here long term- without one he can be here for up to 6 months i think, but i dont know how to get him here in the first place. it feels like he is stuck. at this point i just can't expect him to wait any longer and go through all of the things his family puts him through but i just need to do everything i can to try to change things before i accept him ending things. he's suffering and i don't know how to help anymore everything seems out of reach. i will gladly provide any more information needed if i have missed anything that could be important to any legal advice.

    thank you to whoever takes the time to read this and provide assistance.

  • #2
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that your friend is faced with right now and you’re wanting to find a way to help them as they mentioned wanting to stop the abuse or to run away. It’s great that your friend has support and concern from you especially since this time is quite difficult for them.
    The National Runaway Safeline is located in the United States of America (USA). Our knowledge of helpful community based resources and our understanding of youth in crisis related laws is limited to the USA. Since you’re partner isa located in a country outside of the USA, you can use this link to find a youth helpline in or around their country: https://www.childhelplineinternation...pline-network/.
    While it may be difficult to obtain a passport right away for him, there might be a child protective services in their area that can help provide support in other ways or remove them from that situation.
    Having a space to vent and explore options may often bring out a solution previously not thought of. We are here as support to help you and your friend through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button).
    We’re here to listen and to help and hope you or your friend can reach out soon.
    Take care,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp