No announcement yet.

Moving out at 18 Nevada

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Moving out at 18 Nevada

    Hi so I’m 18 years old and things have never been good at home I’ve recently found a place out of state and have put down payments for it I already had a conversation with my mother but she refuses to let me leave and is threatening to call the cops and report me is there anything I can do. I was told to go down to the station and talk to them and let them know of my leave. Would this really work?

  • #2
    Since you are 18 you are more than likely considered a legal adult which means that you can move out if you want to and you won’t be considered a runaway. So your mom could report you as a missing person, but you can just inform the police you are 18 and simply moved out. As a legal adult, you have a right to make your own decisions about where you live.  We can help you make a plan for how to deal with your situation and help you find resources to land on your feet. Having a plan for where you will live and how you will survive once you move out can be very helpful. Moving can be a huge step, and you don’t have to be alone. Some steps you can take towards independence might be to find employment if you don’t have an income, or to save up money for moving expenses. It can also be helpful to research rents in your area, find a roommate, or make a budget. Another thing you might want to consider is what kinds of things you depend on your parents for currently such as tuition expenses for school, or health insurance, and whether they would continue to provide those things after you leave. We are here to listen and help however we can.  
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    • #3
      And if she has my social and birth certificate is there a way to get those again to be able to apply for jobs and such


      • ccsmod13
        ccsmod13 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,

        Thank you for reaching out, it shows a lot of thought on your side that you are thinking about all the resources that you might need to support yourself. One of the many resources that you can use to obtain some of the resources that you are looking for is they are National Network for Youth attached is a pdf that goes into details about how to get a social security card and birth certificate Another resource that you can use is social security website The United States Social Security Administration ( this website goes into what means to get a replacement and documentation as well. While you are going through the entire process of moving out and living on your own it is important to remember that you are not alone.

        We are always to listen and support you we can reach 24/7 through chat or always give us call as well at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp