No announcement yet.

I need some help

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I need some help

    I don’t know how to explain my situation properly but I will try and explain as best I can. I am 17 ( will be 18 in November ) and currently living with my grandparents, I am currently being emotional neglected and have had thoughts of suicide. For context, throughout my life I have lived with my grandparents who are very “conservative” (they are racist, homophobic, sexist, and narcissistic). I have been physically abused by them, mainly by my grandfather and uncle, up until the age of ten, have been and also still being emotionally and verbally abused and neglected by my mother, grandmother, and aunt (I have already cut ties with my aunt and mother). I have been promised a vehicle for my 18th birthday (not sure if I’ll ever get it by the looks of things) and plan to cut ties with my relatives entirely once I get a vehicle and have the ability to leave. I plan on going to college to a different state (I live in a very conservative state and I am part of the lgbt community) and I was wondering if anyone can explain to me how will I be able to. For example, how will I be able to transfer my out of state provisional license? How can I apply for financial aid without having parents? As of right now, I have already graduated from high school (I got my ged), I haven’t been able to make any friends ( never been able to make any and had to move to several schools due to bullying), have been staying locked in my room for 4 months to avoid confrontation from relatives and possibly losing the chance at getting a vehicle, and have no one to talk to about these things. And by the off chance I don’t get a vehicle, can I possibly take a bus or a train to said Desired state? I do have over 2.5k saved up to get me by. Any advice would mean the world to me.

  • #2
    Thanks so much for reaching out to NRS. It certainly sounds like you’re going through a lot. You absolutely do not deserve to be treated that way by your family. It takes a lot of bravery to do what you’re doing; reaching out and talking about what’s going on.

    Firstly, you mentioned that you are feeling suicidal - we want you to know that in addition to our hotline (1800 Runaway) being available 24/7, that the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is also available 24/7 at 1800 273 8255.

    In your post you asked a lot of great questions. Since procedures and resources vary so much from state to state, you can always contact us via hotline (1800 Runaway) or via chat ( so we get a little more information from you - that will allow us to provide you with the most appropriate information and resources in your area. We wish you the best of luck and we hope to hear from you so we can further help!
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp