•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod13
    replied
    Hi there,

Thank you for contacting us here at NRS. We understand that reaching out for help is a big step to take and we are glad that you did. It sounds like there is a lot that you are faced with at home and you are feeling as though moving out to live independently is your best option. An important factor to consider is if you are planning to leave before or after you turn 18. 18 is usually the age at which you are considered a legal adult with the freedom to choose where you live. If you leave home as a minor, your parents can report you as a runaway to the police. Running away is not illegal, but it is a status offense which means you can be returned home by the police.

You mentioned wanting to know more about utilizing shelter resources. We can't say which state might be the best as it would depend on where you feel most comfortable and where your support system is at. Some shelters might not even be able to go through their intake process with you until you are at the shelter in person or at least in the state it is located in. Each shelter has different program aspects and eligibilities. Calling a program itself is the best way to find out more about their program and how they might be able to help you. If you call the NRS hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY or contact us through the live chat at 1800ruanway.org we would be happy to a search in our database for resources in your area.

If you would like to talk more about your situation or find resources, please contact us directly by phone or live chat. We are here 24/7 to listen and help as much as possible.

Take care,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic I'm tired

I'm tired

I'm 17 and I want to live alone, with no connection to my family. What qualifies you as "homeless" in other states? What's some of the best states to restart in? What shelters can I qualify for and how long can I stay? Will they help me with food/getting a job or will I have to think of something else etc? Also if I drop out of highschool when I turn 18 can the shelter help me get my diploma.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X