No announcement yet.

Runaway help

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Runaway help

    I understand that the age of majority in Mississippi is 21 but I want to move out as soon as I’m 18 my dad is a alcoholic and abusive and I just can’t take it anymore would I be considered a runaway if I move in with my bf and could they come and get me from Florida and return me I would try to get emancipated but I don’t have any proof of him being abusive and none of my family members will go against him because he gas lights them I could really use some help here would I really be considered a runaway when in Florida I’d be legal?

  • #2
    Hi there,

    Thank you for reaching out, we hope to help as best we can. You are correct, in the state of Mississippi the age of majority is 21. In most states, at 18 you are more than likely considered a legal adult which means that you can move out if you want to and you won’t be considered a runaway. As a legal adult, you have a right to make your own decisions about where you live. Technically if you leave for another state you are still bound to the laws of the state where you are a legal resident in. Although it is worth saying that once you cross state lines it is less likely for police to follow up on a runaway report especially if you are 18, a legal adult in most states. In Mississippi you may be considered a runaway if your dad files a runaway report.
    We can help you make a plan for how to deal with your situation and help you find resources to land on your feet. Having a plan for where you will live and how you will survive once you move out can be very helpful. Moving can be a huge step, and you don’t have to be alone. Some steps you can take towards independence might be to find employment if you don’t have an income, or to save up money for moving expenses. It can also be helpful to research rents in your area, find a roommate, or make a budget; you mentioned moving in with your boyfriend, it may be helpful to discuss budgeting as well as always having a plan B. Another thing you might want to consider is what kinds of things you depend on your parents for currently such as tuition expenses for school, or health insurance, and whether they would continue to provide those things after you leave. There may be social service agencies in your area that can help meet some of these needs, such as Transitional Living Programs, a kind of shelter where young adults can live and get services to help them transition to independent living. We are here to listen and help however we can.
    If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button).
    We hope to hear from you soon.

    Be safe,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp