Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leaving home at 17 in Texas

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey y'all. So I'm 17 and I turn 18 in February, and I was wondering what could happen in Austin, Texas if I just leave home? I have several friends who's parents have told me that they are more than willing to take me in, and I would keep whoever I stay with secret just for the two months until I turn 18. The reason I want to leave home is that my mom has been verbally and physically abusive for all of my life and it has been extremely detrimental to my mental health, and I've attempted suicide two times because of her. She and my father are separated, yet my faher is unable to care for me because he lives very far away from my school, and also because he works 12 hour shifts. I also have a supportive older sister that I could live with.

Comment

• Reply: Hey y'all. So I'm 17 and I turn 18

Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. You don't deserve to be abused in any way. It is not your fault.
      You have the right to want to be treated fairly.

As of right now you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options but you’re not sure if there would be any consequences to your leaving.
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway.
      However there have been situations when someone is 17 and close to turning 18 that the police may not force the person to return home.
      For more specifics on the law you might consider contacting the non-emergency number to the local police and simply ask if at seventeen one can move out of their parent’s home without being considered a runaway.

In some situations if the parent’s though separated share equal custody a minor may be able to get the permission from one parent to be independent and live outside the home. Perhaps you would like to speak more about your situation and explore some options.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time.
      We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

We understand that this situation has been stressful to you both emotionally and mentally. You have come through two suicide attempts. Your feelings matter and so does your life. There is value in you the person. Your strength to survive validates it. It is great that you are looking to other options and a happier life. You deserve it.

Take care,
      NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• can i run away at 17 and not get caught

Comment

• ccsmod3
          ccsmod3 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there!

Thank you for reaching out to us at NRS. It sounds like you’re in a tough situation and are looking for options. We’re sorry that you’re having a hard time with whatever you’re going through. We’re here to listen and help the best way we can.
          You mentioned that you want to run away. We’re not legal experts but we can give you some general information. Running away is not illegal which means you can’t be arrested for that. However, if you leave home without parental/guardian permission, that would be considered running away. Your parents/guardians can file a runaway report with the police. If you are staying with someone who knows your situation and the police find you, they can charge them with harboring a runaway, which is a crime.
          There are also other things to consider such as your safety. There might also be other options available depending on your circumstances. If you want to explore what those options might be, you can give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat online at www.runaway.org. Good luck and stay strong!

NRS

• I have been 17 for about 4 months now , and I want to leave home permanently. The relationship between my parents isn’t so good we can never sit and talk about our problems it always has to do with yelling and screaming at one another . I raise my voice one bit I can’t talk to them that way because they’re “my parents” arguments have gotten so bad there has been pushing shoving with my dad almost grabbing the belt to “whoop my ass” I feel like as a female , young adult I shouldn’t be treated like this.. Going through this makes me say I want to leave but always threated by them calling the cops .. I need help , This makes me feel depressed and like I can’t live here anymore.. I just want to know if I can leave with no illegal issues.

Comment

• ccsmod15
          ccsmod15 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,
          Thank you for contacting us at the National Runaway Safeline. It takes a lot of courage to reach out for help and we are glad that you decided to reach out for help.

We are sorry to hear that you are going through such a hard time. You don't deserve to be treated like that. If your safety is every at risk you can call 911. It sounds like you are going through physical and emotional abuse. This is not ok and not your fault. You shouldn't have to go through this. If it might be an option for you, you could consider filing an abuse report. You could call Child Help USA at 1-800-422-4453 and they can help provide you more information on how to file an abuse report. We are sorry to hear you are depressed. If you ever have thoughts about hurting yourself or just want to talk to someone you can call National Suicide Prevention Safeline at 1-800-273-TALK(8255). If you would like, you could also call us at our 24 hour confidential hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat and we can listen to you, explore your options and provide any resources.

We aren’t legal experts here but as a general rule of thumb, you could only live with someone else if your legal guardian gave you permission. If you left without permission, you’d be considered a runaway and if your parents file a police report you could be brought back home and whoever you are staying with could be charged with harboring a runaway. If you NEED to leave the house we would rather have you stay in a shelter than stay on the street somewhere, so we are more than willing to help look up possible shelter options for you if you give us a call.

All of this is a lot and your are acting strong by reaching out for help. We wish you the best and hope to hear from you soon.

Best,
          NRS

• Hi, I just turned 17 in November. I have never found comfort in my homes. My parents Divorced when I was 2 and they have always fought over who I lived with due to child support. When I was younger CPS came by 3 times due to physical and verbal abuse from my mom. The cases always closed because my sibling and I were scared of the consequences. I’m now in a very sticky situation with school and my home life and I’m trying to move out. I don’t want to move out until the summer that way I’m financially stable. But I need help on knowing where I would stand with the law. I live in bell county, Texas area.

Comment

• ccsmod3
          ccsmod3 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,

Thanks so much for reaching out. That on its own can be very difficult. First, it’s important to say that no matter what’s going on, you never deserve to be abused, physically, verbally or otherwise. That being said, it sounds like you’ve had experience with reporting abuse, and it’s not something you want to pursue right now.

It also sounds like you’ve spent a lot of time thinking about your situation and what you want to do. We are not legal experts, though we can share our understanding of the laws and how they might affect you. As a 17-year-old living in Texas, you cannot legally leave home without the permission of one of your parents. If you do choose to leave home, your parents may decide to file a runaway report with the local police. If the police receive any knowledge about where you are, they may choose to pursue you and attempt to return you to your parents. However, given your age, the police may not pursue you, as they often don’t when a runaway is almost 18.

It’s good that you’re concerned about being financially stable and are taking time to plan. It’s good to think about money not only for travel but for food and shelter and how you might find work wherever you go. If you aren’t sure where you’ll go, that’s something to consider before you leave. If you have any friends or family you’d feel comfortable staying with, those could be good options, though if you are found by police, the people sheltering you could be charged with harboring a runaway. You can also contact us anytime at 1-800-621-0394. We can talk more about what’s going on with you and offer shelter resources if you need them. We’re here 24/7 and are completely confidential.

Thanks again for reaching out!

• Leaving home at 17 in Texas

I am 17 and in 2 mounts I will be 18. I am still in high school I will get out of high school in 2020 I try really hard in my class but I just can't pass i come home every night and it is like my parents do not get how hard i try all we do is fight I get really mad and I brake down and cry and i am done fighting with them and i just want to runway to my best friend house and stay with her but i feel like i might hart my family i do not know what to do please give me some really good pointers.

Comment

• ccsmod11
          ccsmod11 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at school and at home right now and torn about whether to stay or leave. We here at NRS don't give advice or tell people what they should or shouldn't do as we trust that you know your situation best.

Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.

If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in.
          Best, NRS

• hi i am 17 and i moved in with my dad because my mom was very mentally abusive but im not happy with my dad either i have somewhere else to live but my dad wont let me leave i have ran away 2 times before with my mom but the police only got involved 1 time can i leave now that im 17 and if so how?

Comment

• ccsmod16
          ccsmod16 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi,

We’re so sorry that you’re going through all of this. Everyone deserves a safe and supportive environment.

We are not legal experts. Our understanding, though, is that all youth under the age of 18 are under guardianship, and it sounds like, from what you said, that your mom or your dad or both have guardianship over you. It is not illegal to run away. It’s a status offence. This means, as you experienced, if you run, the police’s job will be to return you to your guardian.

Other factors can affect how they handle cases. For example, if a youth is close to the age of 18, they may not pursue it very aggressively. (If you’re comfortable, you can always call the police non-emergency line anonymously, and ask them how they might pursue a case like yours.)

Also, the specifics of a youth’s home situation can be a factor too. If a guardian is neglectful or verbally abusive, they can lose guardianship. It’s possible that some of those behaviors might qualify as child abuse. You can call Child Help anonymously, and describe your situation to see if it might be child abuse, and what next steps would look like. Their number is 1-800-422-4453.

Sometimes youth in your situation leave and stay with trusted friends, or other relatives. Sometimes guardians simply don’t file runaway reports, or youth can find a stable place to stay that the guardian doesn’t know about. Legally, you have a right to go to school as a runaway. It can be helpful to have a support network ready if you do leave: people you can reach out to in case your situation changes, you need help, or just need to vent.

Also, a youth can live elsewhere if the guardian approves. It can be a way to give everyone space. Consider if this is something you and your dad could talk about. Think if there’s a good time, when both of you are less stressed, where you might talk this out. If you call us, we also have a database of free or sliding scale family therapy, if you think that might be helpful

We also have a database of youth shelters, if you call us. Youth shelters are mandated to let guardians know that you’re there after 48 hours (unless there’s abuse.) You can also text National Safe Place, if you need a place to go. That’s a network of businesses that provide a place for youth to stay short term. It also gives you the name of a nearby shelter, and the option to text with a therapist. Text “safe” and your location to 4HELP (44357.)

We are so sorry that you’re not getting the support you need from your mom and dad, but it’s great that you are reaching out to people to get support.

• I’m 17 and a Senior in High school. I was wondering if I had the right to leave home and go stay with a friend without my parents consent. They are always on me about something and I feel I have to live up to there expectations. And if I don’t do as they say or don’t do something right or make a mistake they get mad and then we have to have a talk and all kinds of ********. They go through my school bag, my phone, my car, and my room and I feel I have no privacy. I got gripped at when I didn’t have a job and now that I have one I still get gripped at and now they only let me work Friday and Saturdays only. I just can’t take anymore of their BS. I need to know ASAP if I can leave without their consent and without being considered a runaway.

Comment

• ccsmod3
          ccsmod3 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey There,
          Thanks for reaching out to us for help. We know asking for help can be difficult. It sounds like you have been dealing with these issues with your parents for a while. It must be tough not having privacy at home or feeling you never do anything right. That can be a hard environment to live in.
          If you leave your home without permission, your parents can file a runaway report with the police. We are not legal experts, but each police station will handle a 17 year old running away differently. Some police might process the report, while others won’t take it, since you are so close to being considered an adult. If the police take the report they will try to find you and bring you back home. You can contact your local police station to get specifics on how they will handle it. If you stay at your friend’s house it is possible that they can be charged with harboring a runaway. If you are able to get your parent’s permission to stay with your friend, that would be considered an alternate living situation. Your parent’s will still be responsible for you, but you don’t have to live with them anymore. Another option might be to stay with another family member.
          If you want to try something before you leave, we offer a conference calling service. If you call in we can help talk to your parents with you. Sometimes it is helpful to have a mediator to help with communication.
          If you want to talk about any of these options, or maybe brainstorm any others, feel free to call or chat with us (1800runaway.org or 1-800-RUN-AWAY). Good Luck

• I'm 16 going to be 17 in July, I'm dating this guy that a bit older then I am and my parents don't approve. I have run away before and police have gotten involved. My parents are not the best they never see my side of the story and always want things there way. I have been through CPS when I was little and my mom has been very handsy with me. We always get into a fight and she says that I bo up to here and that I swing on here. Once she chocked me out and said she was gonna break my neck. I was hitting her defensively trying to get her off of me. I want to move out on my 17 birthday into an apartment. Even if that's not possible I have a good friend that my mom likes that I can stay with until I get on my feet. I still wanna date my boyfriend and ill be seeing him when I do move out but I won't live with him. Is any of this possible do you think? Could I move out without my parents say so?

Comment

• ccsmod3
          ccsmod3 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It takes a lot of courage to share what you are going through and challenges that you’ve been facing.

First, it’s important to know that you are safe. It sound like you received a lot of pain from your mom in the past. It is important to remember that you never deserve that kind of treatment. If that treatment continues to exists today, you can consider calling Child Help USA at 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org. Child Help is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. You can also reach out to us through our 24/7 hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or by chatting with us through our website at www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

It still seems like there is a lot frustration and lack of trust among you and your parents and it sounds like you would feel better if you left at 17. We aren’t legal experts, but we have general knowledge about running away. In most states, running away isn’t illegal, but what is called a status offense. You can’t get arrested for it but it will mostly likely go on your record until you are 18. The police will only know if you have runaway if your parents/guardians file a police report. We can’t say for sure how the police will respond, but we hear a lot that police will take potential places you might be and will actively search for you. If they come across you, they may return you home to your parents since you are a minor, but you are in a grey area since you are so close to 18. Sometimes we hear that if you are staying with someone who is safe, and have reason to be there then they may not make you go back. One thing we encourage youth at 17 is to reach out to your local non-emergency line number and ask to speak to someone who knows runaway laws and ask how they might respond. It is good to be aware that there is something called harboring, which is a person who knows you are a runaway and are not actively trying to return you or finding shelter for you, your guardians/or police can press charges against the people who are housing you, with something that is called harboring.

We are here for you and will support you in anyway that we can. Please feel free to call into us directly as we can talk further about your situation and find resources that are best for you in your area. Stay strong and you are not alone in this! Our hotline ( 1-800-RUNAWAY) and chat are open 24/7.

-NRS

• My stepson is 16, his mom is in another state. I never got the guardian ship paperwork, he is not going to school and does not want to go back with his mother. His aunt that he is staying with does not not really care.

Comment

• ccsmod0
          ccsmod0 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello,
          Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. From what you are describing sounds like a civil matter that is going to have to be taken up in court. If you would like we might be able to get you in contact with some legal representation. Just give us a call and one of our liners will be happy to assist you. We can best help by phone or chat. 1-800-786-2929

• Im 17, I live in Dallas county, engaged and I want to move out since my birthday is in June. My fiance and his family have invited me to stay at their house until I leave for the military in June and I don't feel as though I can stay at my house. I live with my grand parents and mom and my mom is moving out in March so I will have to clean and cook everyday and do what my grandparents want// they also won't let me see my fiance as often. On top of this I have school and be getting a job to sabe up some money and preparing to ship while in a serious relationship. It will be very hard for me mentally i think so please give me some pointers on what to do because my mother is adament on me staying with my grandparents. I'm very conflicted

Comment

• ccsmod10
          ccsmod10 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension. Everyone deserves to live in a home where you feel comfortable. It must be overwhelming to figure out how to proceed in a way where you will get to see your fiancé and plan for your future.

It’s important to consider all the possibilities that can occur if you leave home to live on your own. You will need to plan out how you will cover basic necessities like travel, food, clothing, etc. If you have a place to go in mind, it’s good to see what the expectations of the living arrangement will be like; rules, the amount of time you’re allowed to stay, if you’re expected to contribute financially, etc. This can all influence your decision to leave.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
          NRS

• Hi I'm going to be 17 in April if my bf is 18 in August can I move in with him with out consent if we have a apartment together in Texas?

Comment

• ccsmod6
          ccsmod6 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello and thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. While we are not legal experts, it is our understanding that Texas police do pursue runaway reports until youth are the age of majority, 18 years old. This would mean that your parents are entitled to file a runaway report should you leave without their consent. If the police encountered you while you were running away, they would be allowed to pick you up, notify your guardian, and take you home. Additionally, if you were staying with an adult, your parents would be entitled to press charges against that adult for harboring a runaway. If you would like to share more about what is going on, we may be able to give you more information or provide you with alternative options. If you are interested in doing so, please reach out to us on our 24/7 hotline at 1-800-786-2929 or on chat at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
          NRS

• If I have a almost 5month child am I able to leave without my parents consent ? I’m in Texas. I have somewhere to stay.

Comment

• I'm 17 turning 18 in a month in Fort Worth. I have been having serious issues at my house and it's all getting to be a bit too much for me. I have been trying my all to make it until I turn 18, but after a fight, my legal-father and I had today it's too much. I enlisted in the Marine Corps in November and am scared that if I follow through with leaving and moving in with a friend who told me I can stay with them, I will receive legal consequences on myself and my friend. I am working on getting a job and have really good odds at a number of places along with my friend and his family saying that me staying with them would be completely cost-free and they would feed me with no cost. My mother has been in jail for 7 years and my guardian is not my biological father. Is it likely that even if the cops are called so that my parents can file me as a runaway, that legal action will be taken? And will this have any effect on my future with the Marine Corps? I have been considering leaving and calling the cops myself to tell them my situation and to ask them to not place a file on me, even if my parents ask to do so, but I just need help making the decision.

Thank You.

Comment

• ccsmod9
            ccsmod9 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi there,
            Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
            While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
            We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
            Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
            If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
            Be

• If a 17 year old who lives in Texas decides to leave or runaway in short. would they get into trouble in any way. I know someone asked this, i just want to get everything assured

Comment

• ccsmod2
            ccsmod2 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out. Although NRS is not a legal agency, we can try to give a general idea of possible outcomes if you were to run away. If you are considered a minor in your state, you are still under your parents’ guardianship, therefore at any point when you are gone, they are legally within their rights to file a runaway report. Being a runaway is a status offense, and while you would not be charged with a crime, if police came across you, they would probably return you home. Guardians could also potentially press charges against people who took you into their care for “harboring a runaway;” these charges would be misdemeanors, but still criminal offenses.

We would love to talk more about the details of your situation so that we can work towards a solution that you find acceptable. If you would like to share more, please feel free to call our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or use our Live Chat.
            We hope this information was helpful and take care.
            National Runaway Safeline
            info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
            1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
        Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x
        Working...
        X