Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leaving home at 17 in Texas

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm in Texas and I was in the child protective services. My case ended a few years ago. Can I run away? I hate living in this house. I live with my aunt and uncle. They are. Complete a**** And I can't stand to live her anymore. What can I do?
    Last edited by ccsmod3; 11-07-2018, 02:41 AM.

Comment

• ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline and sharing a little bit about what is going. It takes a lot of courage to reach out and especially in a time where you have a really tough time at home with your parents. It can be difficult to know how to talk to your aunt and uncle and express your feelings about how you are feeling. We would encourage you to reach out to a trusted adult, teacher, relative, and friend that you can talk to and potentially help you mediate a conversation with your parents about your current situation. At NRS, we do offer a service call conference calling, where you can call into our hotline and then we would reach out to your guardian and help advocate for you, help you express the needs you have to your guardians.

It’s a little unclear how old you are, but you did mentioned that you are no longer under the care of CPS, but if you are under 18, you are still a minor and your guardians are responsible for you. We aren’t legal experts, but we have general knowledge about running away. In most states, running away isn’t illegal, but what is called a status offense. You can’t get arrested for it but it will mostly likely go on your record until you are 18. The police will only know if you have runaway if your parents/guardians file a police report. We can’t say for sure how the police will respond, but we hear a lot that police will take potential places you might be and will actively search for you. If they come across you, the most likely will return you home to your parents. Sometimes we hear that if you are staying with someone who knows you are a runaway and are not actively trying to return you or finding shelter for you, your guardians/or police can press charges against the people who are housing you, with something that is called harboring. One of our main goals is to make sure you are safe, so if you ever seriously decide to run away and need shelter, resources, or a safe place to go you can find safe locations at nationalsafeplace.org or reach out to us directly and we can find local resources in your area.
      We are here for you and will support you in anyway that we can. Please feel free to call into us directly as we can talk further about your situation and find resources that are best for you in your area. Stay strong and you are not alone in this! Our hotline ( 1-800-RUNAWAY) and chat are open 24/7.

-NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We'd love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to support youth and families. Please click the link below to fill out our survey.
      Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

• today is 11•11•2018 my birthday is 11•15•2018 i live in Bexar County San Antonio Texas

i turn 17 on the 15th . ive already graduated . also i have a job . also have many places where i can have roomates and be safe and healthy so many things happening at once i just wanna leave this environment and focus on the future but i cant while i live with my mom because she constantly keeps bringing up my past about how i used to smoke weed and im currently on probation but ive been clean and doing consistent clean drug test for almost a year now , coming January 8th i will be released from probation while on probation i graduated HS and recieved my diploma , Finished community service hours & paid court fees of $215 by my self . Also i feel like i can do so much better things by being independant

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your mom’s permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your mom. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe,

• Can i leave my home at 17 in texas. I know that, that’s what most people are asking. But in my case i want to leave due to my mother not caring for me, and also emotionally abusing me. I’ve also heard her talking to my “step dad” about not caring that i am depressed, because i am gay. Can i leave without consent?

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello there, thanks for reaching out today. That seems really hurtful that your mom and step-dad don't care about you or your mental health because you are gay. You deserve to be accepted and cherished for who you are, and treated with respect.

In Texas, you can be filed as a runaway if you leave home without permission at 17. How police respond depends on your local police's protocol, they could return you home if found or they could do things such as a safety check just to make sure you are okay. You might reach out to your local police to see how they typically respond to 17 year old runaway situations when emotional abuse is involved.

If you would ever like to talk through your situation and help with brainstorming your options please do not hesitate to call or chat us. We are also just here for support if you need. You might also reach out to the The Trevor Project at www.thetrevorproject.org or 866-488-7386. The Trevor Project is an LGBTQ hotline focused on mental health. Please know that you are not alone and there are people and resources out there who truly want to help.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Best,

NRS

• I am 17 turning 18 in March I ran away in April and haven’t been home since I ran away because I was being emotionally and physically abused I also feel like I was being neglected and taken advantage of because when I would tell my biological mother that I was suicidal and depressed she would just tell me it’s a phase and I will get over it I only had counseling once for one day then she took me out because she didn’t like my counselor I ran away because I couldn’t take how depressed I was living in her house I ran away and was homeless for two months then I moved in with a friend and her parents they have taken me in put me in school and now I’m on the track to graduate December 5th I’ve already been accepted to college and I’m going to start cosmetology school I’ve been getting the counseling I need and I’ve been the happiest I’ve been in years my biological mother haven’t been looking for me or anything but recently the school I was attending called her even thought I was under homeless law and told her to comeback get me because they are mad that we made complaints on the school and their officers they lied on me and the family I was with so when my biological mother came she tried to send me to the behavioral hospital then job Corp until I’m 18 I don’t feel like I newsboys any of those because of how good I’ve been doing and how close I am to finishing so I ran away again we called CPS and they are looking into my case but I fear that they will try to make me go with my biological mother what can I do so that I can stay with my friends family and won’t have to worry about the next 4 months of her trying to take me

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your mom’s permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your mom. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe,

NRS

• Leaving Home at 17

If I were to wish to no longer live under the roof of my guardian and were to stay with a friends family(who can provide me with all necessary necessities), legally would my parents have any right to take me from that new home and force me to stay with them? Do the police have any legal right to force me back to my previous residence?(My parents did not consent)

Comment

• ccsmod5
      ccsmod5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi,
      We are not legal experts but in most situations, yes, your parents would have the right to bring you back home and can ask for the police to help with that. If you’d like to speak more specifically about what’s been going on, feel free to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929.
      --NRS

• I turned 17 about a month ago, and my mom just passed away so I now have no official parent or guardian. If I wanted to, could I move in with my boyfriend who's 19?

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as we feel it may be best to help that way. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      We hope to hear from you soon.
      Be safe, NRS

• I have a question, I am 17 and I need to leave my house I just cant stay there anymore. I feel that If i stay any longer im going to snap. Can the police force you to go home if you run away from home?

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time
      It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws. We need to you to know that we are not legal experts nor are we affiliated with the police so we can only speak generally. You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your parents’ permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your mother. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Be safe,

NRS

• I am 16 and my parents are split but not divorced, my mom lives with a useless bf who I feel uncomfortable around and my dad is on meth, I want to live with my older siblings. My mom will let me leave but only to stay with my father who is on meth. My boyfriend is 20 and both of my parents have consented but when they get mad they try to threaten to call the cops on my bf. What do I do, I want to leave but I can’t live like that can my sister enroll me in school?

Comment

• Hello i am 17 years old,

Hello I am 17 years old, I am tired of being in this house I don’t feel safe anymore my STEP DAD is so disrespectful to me and my mom and I can’t take it no more I have been wanting to run away but I don’t want to get any charges, I know people who are willing to take me in but I don’t want them to get any charges either! Please help.
      Last edited by ccsmod4; 11-28-2018, 03:53 AM.

Comment

• Reply:I am 16 and my parents are split...

Hi there,
        Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
        Since it does not sound like your boyfriend is an option for you at this time to live with. Perhaps there is another relative that might be willing to let you stay with them. Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. This may be an isolating and lonely time for you, but you are not alone in this.

NRS is here to listen and here to help.
        We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
        If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

You are welcome to discuss your situation and talk about possible options for help.
        What you did today by reaching out was great. Good job.
        We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
        NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• Reply:Hello I am 17 years old, I am tired of being in this house i dont feel safe....

Hello,
          Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
          We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Take care,
          NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

• I am currently 17 years old and live in Texas I want to move out but I have been having thoughts on my home isn’t bad but it’s just the verbal abuse and the way the try to micromanage my life they hate me going to work and hack on me for a mis slip on grades I have good they try and charge me in things like rent gas and stuff that isn’t necessary and I am tired of the way they treat me they won’t let me get my drivers license and grades have dropped from the stress home brings I would like to know what I can do would i be a runaway? if I left my high school I go to has said there’s a program that could help me if I did
            Last edited by ccsmod5; 12-05-2018, 07:18 PM.

Comment

• ccsmod5
              ccsmod5 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi,
              Thank you for your post. It can be difficult when your parents aren’t ready to give you the freedom many people your age have. You never deserve to be abused in any way. Since you are 17, if you left home you would be considered a runaway. Your parents would have the right to file a runaway report and if the police are able to locate you they may return you home. If you’d like to speak more specifically about your situation, feel free to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929. We’re here 24/7 to listen, provide resources, and help in any way we are able.
              Take care,
              NRS

• So I just turned 17 and my mom and step dad drink too much drink too much and I hate it because my step dad is always loud and my real dad is in jail and my aunt said I could stay with her but I don’t want any trouble with the cops could I just leave ? my aunt can take good care of me and she can take me to school and I can get my own job but my mom and step dad won’t let me get a job which is dumb but could I just leave home ?
            Last edited by ccsmod4; 12-06-2018, 02:35 AM.

Comment

• Reply: So i just turned 17 and my mom....

Hello,
              Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand that the situation at home with your mom and step dad drinking too much is a big issue for you. It sounds like you have an aunt that wants to help you with a place to stay etc.
              Good for you. While we are not experts on the law, someone under 18 that leaves home, the parent/guardian may file them as a runaway and they may be returned home. Also, those that a reported runaway stays with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. Anyone found to be assisting or aiding someone to run away may also find themselves at risk legally. For more specifics on the law, you might consider contacting the local non-emergency number for the police. You might also look for a legal aid center in the area. They may be able to answer any legal questions on the subject.
              We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.

Take care,
              NRS

Comment

• I am 17 and I'll be 18 in about 7, maybe 8 months. I'm currently living in a house where my father is barely ever home and his girlfriend is highly verbally abusive and dehumanizing towards me. Her kids are relentless and determined to get me into as much trouble as possible. I was wondering in in Texas I could move out now. My friend and her father have provided me a place in their home where I can stay. I will still be attending my high school, getting a job, and continuing to keep my grades up and successfully graduating in the spring. But I'm still very worried about my friend, her family, and myself. My father is severely against this idea and my mother wholeheartedly agrees with me and consents with the idea.
                Last edited by ccsmod5; 12-07-2018, 02:53 PM.

Comment

• ccsmod5
                  ccsmod5 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hi,
                  Thank you for reaching out. You never deserve to be verbally abused or dehumanized, especially by your father’s girlfriend. It’s understandable that you would want to leave that situation. It sounds like you’re thinking of moving out now. We are not legal experts, but we have some thoughts you might want to consider:
                  1)If you leave home without permission, your father could file a runaway report and if the police are able to find you, they may return you home. On some occasions, police will not make 17 year olds go home, but that’s not guaranteed and every officer is different.
                  2)You mention that your father is “severely” against your leaving but your mom wholeheartedly agrees. Unfortunately, if your father is your legal guardian he can still file a runaway report to notify police that you’ve left.
                  3)Any adult that houses you could be charged with harboring a runaway, but that is not something we hear about often.
                  Hopefully this was helpful. If you have any other questions, need resources, or need someone to talk to, feel free to reach out to us at 1-800-786-2929. We’re here 24/7 and we hope to hear from you. Good luck and stay strong!
              Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              x
              Working...
              X