No announcement yet.

Leaving home at 17 in Texas

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boyfriend Leaving home at 17 in Texas

I myself am currently 16 and he will be 15 with ing the next couple of months. We both live in Texas, Though I recently moved and we are now nearly 8 hours away from each other. His mother has kicked him out of her house and he’s living with his older sister and her husband, recently problems with them have occurred and he’s wanting to leave there but cannot go back with his mother, and he knows he’s to young to just leave. But he plans on getting a job and leaving as soon as possible, My mother has said that he can come whenever he’s 18, since she’s positive that by then he can legally do whatever he want when it comes to his living arrangements. But he and I were both wondering if he could legally leave at 17 and it not be a problem for him, or my family. He doesn’t want to get in trouble with police and he doesn’t want my parent to either, but he wants to be here as soon as he possibly can.

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello there, thanks for reaching out today.

Sounds like your boyfriend's mom kicked him out and now he is living with his sister and wanting to move in with your family. You seem like a great support and he is lucky to have a partner like you during this difficult time.

We are not legal experts but we can speak generally. If your boyfriend's mom kicked him out without somewhere to go, that could be considered neglect and he has the right to report that to child protective services. To learn more about his reporting rights, you might reach out to the expect child advocates at Child Help 1-800-422-4453. If your boyfriend's mom told him to go live with his sister that is generally not considered neglect, because it is legal for him to live anywhere that his guardian says is okay. If he was sent to live with his sister by his guardian, and then leaves his sister's house without permission, his mom does have the right to report him as a runaway with local police. If he is found by police he typically would be returned to his guardian. In Texas, the legal age you can leave home without permission is 18. Sometimes local police do not follow the same runaway protocols with 17 year old youth as they would with younger runaway youth. So you might call out to his local police station to see if they would take a runaway report for a 17 year old, and if they would return him home if found. One thing to consider is while it is not illegal for him to run away, the legal adult housing him is at risk of being charged with harboring a runaway by his mom. Harboring a runaway is a misdemeanor charge.

Please do not hesitate to call or chat us if you have additional questions or want to talk through the situation. You might also give your boyfriend our number if he has questions or concerns. We are non-directive, confidential, and here 24/7.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Best,

NRS

• I want to know if I can live with a friends parents can my parents make me move back with them I am 17 and don’t want or need to live with them

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi, thank you for reaching out to us.

We are sorry that your life at home sounds really hard, and that you don’t want or need to live with your parents. While we are not able to give legal advice, in general, until you are 18, your parents can force you back home. They would be obligated to file a runaway report with the local police, and if they know where you are, can have you returned home.

We are glad that your friend’s parents are supportive of you and that you trust them. It is possible for them to get into legal trouble if they take you in. It doesn’t seem fair, we know.

Would you consider reaching out to us to talk over the options you do have? Maybe we can find a shelter or help you make a plan to feel more in control of your situation at home.
      Our hotline is available 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY; or our live chat is open 4:30-11:30 p.m. central time.

We wish you the best of luck and hope to hear from you.

• I am 17 years old I'm a full time student. My mother told me one night while she was drunk to pack my stuff and get out the next morning when she had sobered up she told me the same thing. She told me to get out by the 20th so I did CPS got involved and the person I'm staying with was supposed to be my voluntary caregiver but my mother will not sign the paper and now she wants to file a missing report she knows that I am safe. All through my life she has been mentally abusive calling me names and stuff. It got worse after my dad past away she would yell at me for no reason I would do what I was told and I would still would get yelled at so what the opportunity came around I took it. Can she do that will the police take me back will I have to go somewhere else? Please help me I do not want to go back I am happy here.

​​​​​

Comment

• ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi, thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like you have been through a lot recently. You do not deserve to live in a mentally abusive home.

You mentioned that you are living with a voluntary caregiver after CPS got involved, but that your mom now wants to file a missing persons or a runaway report. This sounds like a change in the plan that may have been laid out with CPS when they were involved. If you were assigned a case manager through CPS, you can contact them with this development and they may intervene. They may alert the police of the situation if your mother tries to file a report, so they know what is going on. They may also talk with your mother again and make sure the voluntary caregiver is suitable for you to stay with.

We are happy to help you contact CPS, or your case manager, if this sounds like a good option to you. Just call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) and we can talk about what is going in over the phone.

Thanks again for contacting us and we wish you the best of luck.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X