No announcement yet.

Leaving home at 17 in Texas

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boyfriend Leaving home at 17 in Texas

I myself am currently 16 and he will be 15 with ing the next couple of months. We both live in Texas, Though I recently moved and we are now nearly 8 hours away from each other. His mother has kicked him out of her house and he’s living with his older sister and her husband, recently problems with them have occurred and he’s wanting to leave there but cannot go back with his mother, and he knows he’s to young to just leave. But he plans on getting a job and leaving as soon as possible, My mother has said that he can come whenever he’s 18, since she’s positive that by then he can legally do whatever he want when it comes to his living arrangements. But he and I were both wondering if he could legally leave at 17 and it not be a problem for him, or my family. He doesn’t want to get in trouble with police and he doesn’t want my parent to either, but he wants to be here as soon as he possibly can.

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello there, thanks for reaching out today.

Sounds like your boyfriend's mom kicked him out and now he is living with his sister and wanting to move in with your family. You seem like a great support and he is lucky to have a partner like you during this difficult time.

We are not legal experts but we can speak generally. If your boyfriend's mom kicked him out without somewhere to go, that could be considered neglect and he has the right to report that to child protective services. To learn more about his reporting rights, you might reach out to the expect child advocates at Child Help 1-800-422-4453. If your boyfriend's mom told him to go live with his sister that is generally not considered neglect, because it is legal for him to live anywhere that his guardian says is okay. If he was sent to live with his sister by his guardian, and then leaves his sister's house without permission, his mom does have the right to report him as a runaway with local police. If he is found by police he typically would be returned to his guardian. In Texas, the legal age you can leave home without permission is 18. Sometimes local police do not follow the same runaway protocols with 17 year old youth as they would with younger runaway youth. So you might call out to his local police station to see if they would take a runaway report for a 17 year old, and if they would return him home if found. One thing to consider is while it is not illegal for him to run away, the legal adult housing him is at risk of being charged with harboring a runaway by his mom. Harboring a runaway is a misdemeanor charge.

Please do not hesitate to call or chat us if you have additional questions or want to talk through the situation. You might also give your boyfriend our number if he has questions or concerns. We are non-directive, confidential, and here 24/7.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Best,

NRS

• I want to know if I can live with a friends parents can my parents make me move back with them I am 17 and don’t want or need to live with them

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi, thank you for reaching out to us.

We are sorry that your life at home sounds really hard, and that you don’t want or need to live with your parents. While we are not able to give legal advice, in general, until you are 18, your parents can force you back home. They would be obligated to file a runaway report with the local police, and if they know where you are, can have you returned home.

We are glad that your friend’s parents are supportive of you and that you trust them. It is possible for them to get into legal trouble if they take you in. It doesn’t seem fair, we know.

Would you consider reaching out to us to talk over the options you do have? Maybe we can find a shelter or help you make a plan to feel more in control of your situation at home.
      Our hotline is available 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY; or our live chat is open 4:30-11:30 p.m. central time.

We wish you the best of luck and hope to hear from you.

• I am 17 years old I'm a full time student. My mother told me one night while she was drunk to pack my stuff and get out the next morning when she had sobered up she told me the same thing. She told me to get out by the 20th so I did CPS got involved and the person I'm staying with was supposed to be my voluntary caregiver but my mother will not sign the paper and now she wants to file a missing report she knows that I am safe. All through my life she has been mentally abusive calling me names and stuff. It got worse after my dad past away she would yell at me for no reason I would do what I was told and I would still would get yelled at so what the opportunity came around I took it. Can she do that will the police take me back will I have to go somewhere else? Please help me I do not want to go back I am happy here.

​​​​​

Comment

• ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi, thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like you have been through a lot recently. You do not deserve to live in a mentally abusive home.

You mentioned that you are living with a voluntary caregiver after CPS got involved, but that your mom now wants to file a missing persons or a runaway report. This sounds like a change in the plan that may have been laid out with CPS when they were involved. If you were assigned a case manager through CPS, you can contact them with this development and they may intervene. They may alert the police of the situation if your mother tries to file a report, so they know what is going on. They may also talk with your mother again and make sure the voluntary caregiver is suitable for you to stay with.

We are happy to help you contact CPS, or your case manager, if this sounds like a good option to you. Just call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) and we can talk about what is going in over the phone.

Thanks again for contacting us and we wish you the best of luck.

• i'm 16 but 17 in 8 months but honestly I need to get out of a bad situation.so what should i do.

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi There,
      Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline today.
      We’re so sorry to hear that you’re in a bad situation. It sounds like it’s really hard and you’re not sure what to do. We want to let you know that we’re here to listen and talk about your situation in more detail. Sometimes simply talking to someone about what’s been going on can yield solutions you might not have previously thought of. We’re unable to tell you what to do here, but we’re more than happy to talk about options with you.
      Our priority is your safety. Please, if you feel unsafe you have the right to call 911. If you’re being hurt by someone in your home or in your family, you have the right to report abuse. Please visit www.childhelp.org for more information.
      We’re 100% confidential and open 24/7. Please consider talking to us directly at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or find out Live Chat right here on this site.

All the best,
      NRS

• I'm 16, will be 17 in a few months. I'm under CPS custody in Texas. Can I leave the state without any complications on my birthday?

Comment

• ccsmod16
      ccsmod16 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello, thanks for reaching out. It sounds like you are living with a family member while under CPS care and that the family member is leaving the state soon. We are not legal experts but can speak generally. Since you are under the state of Texas' care until age 18, you may want to reach out to your case worker and ask what may happen and if it is okay to move out of state. It may be that your family member needs to fill out more paperwork, formally adopt you, or that you may need to stay with another family member or foster family.
      If you would like legal services, give us a call anytime (1-800-786-2929) or live chat on our website 4:3-11:30pm central time.
      Best of luck with your living situation and call anytime to discuss more options or for more resources!

• I'm currently in CPS custody but living with a voluntary family member and want to leave the state when I'm 17. Can I do so without any complications?

Comment

• No, they arent leaving the state but I want to. 17 is the legal age of concent so when I turn 17 I want to run away back to the state where I lived, was happy and ripped away from. So my question is.. When I turn 17.. Can I run away without any complications? CPS won't let me leave so I'm wanting to do it on my own. Can you help me?

Comment

• ccsmod3
        ccsmod3 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline, we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what is going on. Since you are a part of CPS it makes the legalities a little different than the general public. We are not legal experts and we would encourage you to reach out your local police department’s non-emergency line and anonymously ask questions to someone who can answer questions more specifically for you. If you want to call into us, we can look to see if there are any legal resources in your area that we can refer you too.
        Our main goal is to make sure you are safe. We are here to listen and to support you in any way that we can with the resources in our database. If you decide to runaway on your own, it may be good to think about how you will survive, shelter, food, financials, and support for school. Stay strong and wish you luck!

-NRS

• Hello so my name is sindy and i wondering if can leave from my house because i have to much problems with my parents im 17 years old about to be 18 in a month

Comment

• Reply: Hello so my name is sindy

Hi there,
        Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission.
        If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway.

However since you are turning 18 in a month there may be some question as to the police making a runaway report.
        You might consider contacting the non-emergency number of your local police for more specific answer for your situation.

You are welcome to contact NRS and arrange a conference call with the police if you are not comfortable calling on your own. You may listen in as we ask any questions you might have.
        We are here as support to help through this challenging time.
        If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

Take care,
        NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
        Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

• I've been living with my grandparents every since i was 4. Things at home aren't going well at home. I don't like the way I've been treated for the past 4years. They dont have full guardianship over me. And I'm 17 years old. Would I be able to legally move in with a friend as of now? (2-11-1

Comment

• ccsmod2
            ccsmod2 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear that things at home aren't going well. We are not legal experts, but we can provide you with general information. In most states, a person has to be 18 before they can legally move out of their guardians home. You could try asking your grandparents if they would allow you to stay with another family member or friend. If you decide to leave home without their permission, they have the right to file a runaway report. With a runaway report, if the police find you they would return you home. If you were to stay with a friend, they could get charged with harboring a runaway. Please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email or live chat if you have any additional questions or just need to talk.

• I am 16 about to be 17 in 4 months I live with my grandparents who has never raised a child in their life and my grandfather is considered crazy as well as my grandmother ... I have very valid reasons to leave . I wanna move in with a very close family of mine but I was adopted by my grandparents my mom said she supports me in moving out and she is up for it and will tell them I am when I turn 17 . How do I go about this? I live in Texas too.
          Last edited by ccsmod4; 02-15-2018, 01:28 AM.

Comment

• hey tdhgfffffff rdddffgh

Comment

• Reply: I am 16 about to be 17 in 4 months

Hi there,

You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your Parent or in your situation, guardian’s permission.
              We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to them.
              The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

For more information about the emancipation laws in the state of Texas here are a couple of referrals.
              Resources:
              LEGAL SERVICES OF NORTH TEXAS
              Phone number: 214-744-5277; 888-529-5277
              9:00am-12:00pm Monday to Friday
              HOUSTON VOLUNTEER LAWYERS PROGRAM
              Phone number: 713-228-0735
              8:30am-5:30pm Monday to Friday
              If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
              Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

Take care,

NRS

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
              info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
              1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
              Tell us what you think about your experience!
              https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

• I'm 17 and will be 18 in about 6 months, my mom told me to move out and go where she tells me, but she won't say where I'm going. She's really mad because she doesn't like my boyfriend and she doesn't want me living with her. I can easily find a place to live and I already have a job, so could I legally leave home?

Comment

• ccsmod8
                  ccsmod8 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hi!

Thank you so much for reaching out. It sounds like you and your mom are having difficulties communicating. This is a tough situation, but trying to clarify where she wants you to go may help you form a game-plan. It's unfortunate that your mother doesn't approve of your relationship, that can be very hurtful. It sounds like your mother not wanting you to live with her could be very hurtful, and nobody deserves to feel unwanted. There are some things you should know before you decide to leave.

If you were to run away, your mother would have the right to file a runaway report. You aren't doing anything illegal by running away, but filing this report means that if the police were to come across you, they would return you to your mother's care. If you would like to discuss some shelter options as you transition to another place, feel free to call us.

Another option, depending on your state, could be emancipation. This usually requires proof that you can support yourself and are continuing your high school education. It is good that you have a job already, this could definitely help your case. We aren't legal experts, but what we have for Texas is that a minor may petition to have the disabilities of minority removed for limited or general purposes if the minor, is a resident of this state, has to be 17 years of age, or at least 16 years of age and living separate and apart from the minor's parents or managing conservator and being self-supporting and managing the minor's own financial affairs. Since we aren't legal experts here like stated, it might be best to reach out to a lawyer or seek legal advise. One resources is "Houston Volunteer Lawyers Program" (713-228-0735).

This may seem like a confusing time, but know that your are not alone. Again, to discuss your situation further and for help formulating a plan, feel free to call us at 1800-RUNAWAY.

• I am 16 and my birrthday is July 5 and I want to leave home and be on my own already im tired of being here putting up with my mom we've been fight and I just wana make money already and live my life no I'm not in school and im a pothead soo. But I was wondering if I can leave the house without the cops getting involved or I heard that you can leave at17 but you just can never come back.. Is it true? I live in Pecos TX

Comment

• ccsmod10
                  ccsmod10 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us today, it sounds like you’re in a difficult situation at home.

In answer to your first question, running away isn’t a crime, but if you leave without your parent’s permission they can file a runaway report with the police meaning the police know you have left and if they come into contact with you, they will likely try to return you back home. You won’t be arrested, but usually the goal is to take you home if possible. However, if any adult allows you to stay with them they are at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway which is in fact a crime.
                  With your second question, we are not legal experts but I don’t believe there’s a law where you can leave home at 17 if you don’t return. With that said some states or even counties within states may deal with 17 yr olds differently. Some police may not require a youth to return home at that age. In order to know what the specific laws are in your area sometimes it can be helpful to contact your local police on a non-emergency line to ask them how they deal with these circumstances.

Some things to think about are how you will support yourself, where you would stay and how your mom would feel if you decided to leave. If you would some help in exploring the options available to you, you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

We wish you the best of luck!
              Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              x
              Working...
              X