Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leaving home at 17 in Texas

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi I'm 16 turning 17 in November I live with my mother and father and I've been verbally abused by my father for as long as I can remember. My boyfriend is 19 my mom likes him and I recently asked her if she would allow us to marry in December when he comes back from basic training she's saying she's gonna stick with no until I graduate but I don't wanna lose my boyfriend when he leaves for military after basic and I especially don't wanna lose my chance of getting away from my father. What could happen if I run away with him? we aren't sexually active at all and never have been if that changes anything.

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for contacting National Runaway Safeline. We are very sorry to hear that your father has been verbally abusive towards you. You don’t deserve to be treated that way. It sounds like you would plan on marrying your boyfriend but your mother doesn’t approve. It seems like have been thinking of running away to be with your boyfriend so that you don’t lose him and you can get away from your father. You do have the option of reporting the verbal abuse that you have experienced from your father. Child Help (1-800-422-4453) is a great resource to discuss options of reporting abuse and transferring custody. Maybe you could stay with a family member until you turn 18, then you can legally leave home without your parent’s consent and get married. Since you are a minor, if you decided to runaway your parents could file a runaway report on you. With a runaway report, if the police find you, they would return you home to your parents. Although running away is not illegal, your boyfriend could get in trouble for harboring a runaway if your parents chose to press charges. You mentioned that you would be turning 17 soon, some states do not accept runaway reports for 17 year olds. One way that you could find out is to contact your local police non-emergency number and ask if they take runaway reports for 17 year olds. If you don’t feel comfortable calling the police, we could call for you.
      If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to contact us through our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat.
      Good Luck !
      - NRS

• Hi i live in texas & im 17 im trying to levae my house becausse i live with my mom & step dad & his really mean to me sice i was a lil girl & i dont want to keep living with him & i dont have my moms support & git ni family

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to NRS. We appreciate you explaining a bit about what you’re going through at home with your step-dad.

It sounds like home life with your mom and your step-dad has turned into a toxic environment. You don’t deserve to be mistreated by your step-dad, it’s understandable why you want to get away from him. Talking to your mother about how her friend makes you feel could help to improve the situation. At NRS (1-800-786-2929), we offer conference calls between youth and their parents. This could be an opportunity for you to talk about how unhappy you are at home. Also try to figure out how to make the situation better, or find other family or friends to live with. If you decide to leave home without your mom’s permission, you can be reported as a runaway. Running away is not something you can be arrested for, if the police find you, they return you home. We have a database, so if you need resources; legal aid, runaway shelters, therapists, etc. We are more than happy to look for them in your area. Also, talking to teachers or school counselors about how you’ve been treated at home, could provide you with some extra support and insight.

If you would like to continue to discuss your situation and need additional support, feel free to contact us through our 24 crisis hotline, email, or live chat.

- NRS

• I am turning 17 in 6 months and I live with my mom and step dad. I do not get along with my mom and I do not particularly look up to my step dad as a dad. I would like to leave home and go live with my biological father when I turn 17 but he has no custody over me. He has welcomed me to his home to stay as long as I would want. Can I leave home without parental consent at age 17 and live with my biological father?

Comment

• Reply: I am turning 17 in 6 months

Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving and going to stay with your biological father is an option you have been considering.
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.

We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

Be safe,
      NRS

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat which is open every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST and can be accessed here:

National Runaway Safeline
      info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
      Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

• I'm 16 turning 17 in march.. I've recently screwed up my relationship with my parents, any advice on how to tell them I want to stay with my grandma for a while until I can get my head cleared?

Comment

• ccsmod7
          ccsmod7 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like you are planning on having the hard conversation with your parents about staying temporarily with your grandma. It is really brave of you to have this hard conversation with your parents and to advocate for your needs to them.

You might try to include your grandma in on the conversation with them. If she is okay with you living with her and she understands what is making you want to leave, maybe she can talk to your parents for you. Sometimes when parents aren't hearing you, it can be helpful to have an adult they trust talk to them. We also have a conference call service here if you would like to have a mediated conversation with a parent. It can be a safe space to get your feelings across to your parents since there is no interrupting allowed on the call. You also might try to write it down how you are feeling either to give to them to read, or to use as a guide to help get all of your points across. It sounds like your relationship with your parents is pretty strained, so you might also think about their personalities and how they react to things. Sometimes it can help the situation to focus it on your own well-being rather than sounding accusatory against them, since they might become defensive. For instance phrasing things like: "When ___ happens I feel like ____, and it is really taking a toll on me to be around that."

If you call or chat us we can get more information about your situation and might be able to brainstorm some more options with you. We can also do the conference call if you call 1-800-RUNAWAY. It is really smart of you to try to be open with your parents about how you are feeling and what your needs are, and we wish you the best with that conversation.

-NRS

• im 17 and on probation and i get off probation in nov 9 and i want to leave my parents house can i?

Comment

• ccsmod15
          ccsmod15 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out, it takes a lot of courage to come forward to others about problems you’re having, and we want to honor that.

We would love to help you out in this situation. However, your question is ultimately a legal one, and we are not legal experts. From what we have heard, it may be true that runaway youth in Texas are subject to detainment by police officers without warrants. This is unusual across the United States, but due to this possibility, we want to inform you that this may happen if you run away. This situation is especially complicated given your probation status. You might find it helpful to call your local non-emergency police’s number and ask them anonymously and hypothetically what might happen to a runaway youth on probation. If you cannot find this number, or need further assistance, certainly feel free to call us at 1-800-786-2929, and we can help you.

Best of luck,

NRS

• I am 17 right now, living in a foster home and I donor like it here can I leave this place at the age of 17?

Comment

• ccsmod0
          ccsmod0 commented
          Editing a comment
          I am 17 right now, living in a foster home and I donor like it here can I leave this place at the age of 17?

Hello, Thank you for reaching out. We read your question and found this previous posting that might be able to answer your question. We encourage all of the users here to read previous post in the thread.
          Originally posted by ccsmod16 View Post
          Hi, thanks for reaching out today! It sounds like you are frustrated with the foster care system and are wanting to run away. We are sorry to hear things are so difficult right now.
          We are not legal experts, but in most states the legal age you can leave foster care is 18. If you leave before that, your case worker could file you as a runaway with the police. Some police stations do not accept runaway reports for 17 year olds if they are close to 18, but that really does depend on the local police department. While it is not a criminal offense to run away, anyone over the age of 18 that you stay with does run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway, which is a criminal offense.
          You may consider talking to your case worker, someone in your home, or even someone at school about what is going on that is making you feel like you want to leave. We also offer conference calling if you would like to have a third party in the conversation with your case worker. We would serve as an advocate for you on the phone; sometimes having a neutral person can lessen tension.
          We are here 24/7 by phone at 1-800-RUNAWAY and also by live chat beginning at 4:30 CT if you want to talk about your situation further or pursue a conference call. Thank you for reaching out and best of luck!

• Hi my name is jenay and I'm 17 and getting my ged is there anyway I can move out without parents consent or without being emancipated?

Comment

• ccsmod2
          ccsmod2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi Jenay, thank you for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline. Unfortunately, the only legal ways that you could move out of your parent’s home is with their consent or being emancipated, unless there is abuse in the home. If you feel unsafe at home, you could report the abuse and Child Protective Services would investigate, if they find that your home environment is unsafe, they would remove you from your home. Is you decide to leave home without your parent’s permission that is considered as running away. Running away is not illegal but since you are under 18, your parents have the right to file a runaway report. With a runaway report, if the police find you they would return you home to your parents. There is a possibility that your friend would get in trouble for harboring a runaway if your parents decide to press charges. However, some police do not accept runaway reports for 17 year olds. You could contact your local police non-emergency number and ask them if they accept runaway reports for 17 year olds. If you don’t feel comfortable calling yourself, we could call the police for you. Please feel free to contact us directly through our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat.
      Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      x
      Working...
      X