Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leaving home at 17 in Texas

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm 17 and I've been having problems with my mother lately, she recently called the cops on me because we got into an argument, I left to my friend's house, and when the cop asked if I hit her, she exaggerated and told the cop I purposely kicked her which I just bumped into her on my way out, the cop took me in. She would've never gotten me out, but my grandma forced her to bail me out. It wasn't that long ago today that she said she wastes her time and money on me. I'm beginning to think she had a problem with me because I have a dream to be in the music industry. I don't do well in school not because I'm stupid, but because I don't try. She has a bad temper and doesn't even like when I tell her my opinions. I've been wanting to run away, but she threatens to call the cops. I did my research, and I've seen that in Texas, 17 year olds are given some leeway depending on the circumstances. Would everything be okay legally if I were to run away?

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there, thank you for reaching out and taking the time to share you situation with us.

It seems like you have a tough relationship with your mother right now, and you are curious about ways to get out of your current home. You do not deserve to be verbally abused like that…You are not stupid if you do not try, and you have every right to share your opinion, especially with those who are close to you.

In Texas, being 17 means you are considered a minor (someone who is not an adult). We want you to be informed because being a “minor” affects your right to information and services. But that does not mean that you do not have options…

The circumstances you refer to are if you are an emancipated minor, pregnant minor, minor living apart, or married minor.

At 17 in Texas, it is all about your local police report. Sometimes they will take runaway reports. The best way for you to know what options you have is to call the non-emergency police and ask, hypothetically, how they would handle those types of situations.

We hope this helps your situation. Thank you for touching base with NRS. We are here to talk and chat 24/7 for your continued help.

• Running away at 17 in Texas

I'm 17 about to turn 18 in October, and I am thinking about leaving my home. I live with my 2 moms and they do not like my boyfriend (age 1. They are saying that I can not see him anymore and if they catch us together they are going to have him arrested even though we were dating before his 18th birthday (we were both 17 at the time we got together). They took all of my ways of communication so I am having to sneak to use a phone. I want to move out and live with either my boyfriend or my best friend. Both have told me I could move in with them. Would my mom be able to call the cops and say I am a runaway and if so would I be in a lot of trouble? Also, how would this effect my boyfriend or my friend?

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,
      Thank you for taking the time to write to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you and your moms are having a hard time getting along right now and you are thinking about moving in with your boyfriend or your best friend. It is understandable that you would want to leave a place where you communication is limited. We want you to know that we are not legal experts nor are we affiliated with the police so we can only speak generally about what could happen if a youth leaves home without the consent of a guardian. Leaving home without parental consent (running away) is not a crime, so the police will not arrest you. If you do leave home without permission your guardian does have the right to file a runaway report. Running away is not a crime it is a status offence (something that only a minor can get in trouble for: truancy, buying cigarettes, etc.) this means that if you have any interaction with the police they will simply return you home. On the other hand the people that you are found to be staying with could face legal consequences that vary depending on your state. You can find out more about how runaway’s reports are carried out by contacting your local police department. If you would like we could contact your local non-emergency number for you or with you. Just give us a call and one of our trained liners would be happy to assist you.
      We hope you found this information helpful. If you have any other questions please feel free to give us a call anytime.
      Best, NRS

• I'm 17 and I dont like where I'm living. I'm not living with my parents I'm staying with my great aunt and uncle. I was wondering if i could move out without their permission, but with another family member.?

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to us today. It sounds like you’re not happy with the living situation with your great aunt and uncle, and are hoping to move in with other members of your family. It’s good that you’re reaching out for help and support, and trying to think through your decisions.

We are not legal experts, but we can give you some ideas of what might happen if you chose to move out. Since you are 17, you do need permission from your parent or guardian for who you live with—if your parents are still your legal guardians, they would be the ones who need to give permission for you to live with another relative. Without permission, your parents or guardians might choose to call the police and file a runaway report. Though it’s not illegal for you to leave home, it is what’s called a status offense, and if the police accepted the report and knew where you were staying they might bring you back home. Additionally, it is possible that the other family members you left to stay with could be charged with harboring a runaway.

Sometimes police departments choose not to accept runaway reports for people who are almost 18, but that is very dependent upon your local police department’s policies and your situation. One option would be to call your local police’s non emergency number and ask them questions, such as whether they accept runaway reports for 17 year olds and what that process is like. If that’s something you’re interested in doing, but would like support in calling, we can also do conference calls where we help advocate for you and get your questions answered.

If you’d like to talk more about what’s going on at home that’s causing you to want to move out, if you’d like help with a conference call, or if there’s other support we can offer, our hotline is available 24/7 at 1-800-786-RUNAWAY (2929). We wish you all the best!

• Im 17 turning 18 in december and i live in texas. My mother constantly tears me apart saying that im a waste of space and that i cant seem to accomplish anything. Ive been told she is mentally and emotionally abusive. I want to move out and live with my grandparents but without her or my father or siblings knowing. They would only tell me no and it would only make the living situation worse. If i was to leave without there consent would i be able to live with my grandparents?

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello there, thanks for reaching out.

Sounds like your mom has said some incredibly hurtful things to you. You so do not deserve to be talked down to like that. It is so understandable that you want to get away from that.

You do have the right to report mental and emotional abuse to child protective services (CPS). It is not okay for you to be harmed in anyway. Unfortunately, emotional abuse can be harder for CPS to prove to be dangerous enough to remove you from your parent’s house. However, they might provide other family/case management services. To learn more about reporting you might contact the experts at Child Help 1-800-422-4453.

You know your family dynamics way better than us, and if your grandparents and parents talk. So you might talk to your grandparents and see if it is feasible for you to move in with them without your parents or siblings knowing about it. Your parents can attempt to file a runaway report for you if you leave before you are 18 without their permission. The easiest way you could live with your grandparents at 17 is with your parents’ permission, but it sounds like that might not be an option for you. You might see if your grandparents will talk to your parents for you about moving out too. If a runaway report is filed for you and police find you, they typically would return you home. Since you are 17 and a half, you might contact your local police and ask if they would take a runaway report for you since you are close to turning 18. If local police do not take a runaway report for you, there is no legal way your parents can force you to stay at home.

Please do not hesitate to reach out if you ever need.

Best,

NRS

• Hi. I'm 15 years old and live with my mother although my mother and father dont get along I still feel thay living with my dad is a better choice for myself as im growing older. My father is willing to pay for a ticket to send me to him (a different state). If I leave my mother without consent what can happen and how will the law be involved if it was absolutely MY decision.

Comment

• Reply: Hi. I'm 15 years old and live with my mother

Hello
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

We appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving and living with your father is one of your only options.
      It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission.
      If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home.

Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

Be safe,
      NRS

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• Im 17 and i live with both my parents i am wanting to leave home because me and my mom are not cool rn and me and my dad fought and he did not let me go to work which made me a no call no show and got me fired which was so unnessecary of him. My dad says that as long as i live under his roof im going to follow his rules, honestly i cant do this anymore and im really trying to move out. I have some money saved up and i know that one of my relatives will be ok if i stay with them. Im also sure that if i keep working i will be stable to take care of me. Im pretty sure that if i leave my mom is going to call the police are they going to make me go back? Or what can i do to be able to leave without getting introuble by the police

Comment

• ccsmod10
          ccsmod10 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us, it is a brave first step to ask for help and use the resources available to you to figure out what to do. It must be stressful to live with parents that you do not get along with and prevent you from working. It is great that you have already worked to figure out a safe place to stay and it seems like you have thought through a lot of things.

While we are not legal experts, we can give you some general information about your situation. When a minor runs away from home, most police stations take runaway reports from parents. What this means is that if the police find the minor, they will bring them back home to their parents. This would not go on your permanent record and would be considered a status offense, like breaking curfew. However, if your parents wanted to press charges on the person you stayed with, if they could prove that person knew you were a runaway, they could be charged with harboring a runaway. Some police stations, however, do not take runaway reports for 17 year olds, meaning that they would not be on the lookout for you and would not bring you home and you could stay with whoever you wanted. The way to find out your specific police station’s policy is to call them and ask.

Again, it is very mature to figure out a plan and make sure that you have all of the information you need before acting on it. Feel free to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY if you have any more questions or want to talk or bounce ideas off of someone.

Best of luck,
          NRS

• I'm 16 turning 17 in January. My parents are getting a divorce and they want to share custody of me and my sister. The thing is, I talked to my therapist about this stuff and I told her my options and she said that emancipation would be ideal for me. The only problem is , my father would never agree to that and my mother thinks I'll leave her for good. My mom and I get along very well. We aren't staying with my dad rn so it's jus me and my mom. My mom is afraid that if I don't ever see or talk to my dad, he'll try to take full custody of me and my sister. I just want to know if I am able to leave the home and if emancipation would even work for me. I'm currently looking for a job and school is starting in 2 weeks. Do you have to pay for the place you plan on living for emancipation to be accepted ? My girlfriend already said I can live with her until my mom is able to get an apartment for me and her. Would that be allowed? She is 17 ( turning 18 in march ) and I am 16.

Comment

• ccsmod3
          ccsmod3 commented
          Editing a comment
          Often, youth may reach out to NRS in several different ways to discuss their situation. If a response from NRS is not visible on the forum thread, it may be that we have already provided services to that individual through another platform we provide such as email, our crisis hotline, or our live chat service (in operation every day through our website at 1800runaway.org). NRS encourages anyone in need of assistance to contact us through our 24 hour crisis hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY to receive immediate support.

• ccsmod1
          ccsmod1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for reaching out to us for help. It sounds like you are in a really tough situation. It is understandable that you would be thinking about your living options now that your parents are getting divorced. That sounds very stressful.
          It sounds like you are interested in emancipation. We are not legal experts, but we can help you get a general sense of how emancipation works. Laws vary depending on your location, but in many states a minor can petition the court for emancipation to take responsibility for their own care before they turn 18. Generally speaking, courts are wary about granting emancipation. In most cases, you would have to prove in court that you have an income and can care for yourself financially, and that you are able to live separately from your parents. Depending on your girlfriend's family for financial support and somewhere to live may not be sufficient. It also helps to be in good standing at school. The court will also factor in the mental and physical welfare of your parents in order to establish your best interest. Usually your legal guardian would have to agree to this in court. Once you are emancipated, you can legally choose where you live, but you might still find that you cannot sign a lease or build credit until you turn 18. The emancipation process can take several months or up to a year, and may cost money in the form of court fees and other expenses. The best way to learn about emancipation in your state is to contact a lawyer. You may also find information at your county family court. We can look up legal aid resources that may be able to help you with the process. Please do not hesitate to call if you have questions, need legal resources, or need to talk. We can explore your situation, go over all your options, and come up with a plan and resources to deal with your situation over the phone or on live chat. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.

• So I'm 17 and I stay with my dad and want to move with my grandfather my dad is always drinking and Messing with me for no reason and this been going on for years I'm ready to move so if I move will the cops make me go back if he file a runaway report on me my grandfather stay in a nice neighborhood nice house and everything so I don't see the problem with me moving

Comment

• I'm 17 turning 18 in September and I'm tired of my dad all he do when he gets off is drink and come home and fuss my grandfather raised me when my dad was in jail I want to move with him but I don't know what's going to happen if they do file a runaway report I'm in a nice neighborhood Large house will they make me go back ? I stay in Tx

Comment

• ccsmod3
            ccsmod3 commented
            Editing a comment
            Often, youth may reach out to NRS in several different ways to discuss their situation. If a response from NRS is not visible on the forum thread, it may be that we have already provided services to that individual through another platform we provide such as email, our crisis hotline, or our live chat service (in operation every day through our website at 1800runaway.org). NRS encourages anyone in need of assistance to contact us through our 24 hour crisis hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY to receive immediate support.

• what is the legal age in the state of Texas with a baby that you can leave your home

Comment

• ccsmod16
            ccsmod16 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hello,
            Thanks for getting in touch with us here at the National Runaway Safeline, we’re happy to help you with any questions you might have.
            As far as leaving home, the age does not change with the additional factor of having a baby. In order to legally leave your home, and reach the age of majority, you have to be 18.
            If there’s anything else we can help you with, please feel free to call us at 1 800 RUNAWAY (1 800 786 2929) or leave a new post on our forum. We will do our best to give you the help and support you deserve. We hope that everything works out for you.
            National Runaway Safeline

• Can I move out of my parents house at the age of 17 with my dad's consent ? Or do i need both parents to approve ?

Comment

• ccsmod6
            ccsmod6 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi,

Thanks so much for reaching out to us tonight. It sounds like you're considering leaving home. Your question is a really good one and hopefully the information we give you can help you out a little bit!

So it really all depends on who has custody of you. If your dad has full custody of you and he gives you permission to leave home then you can. If your parents and joint custody and he is giving you permission but your other parent is not, it can get more tricky. We are not legal experts, but we have heard that sometimes police departments leave that issue up to the court because it becomes a fight between two parents about custody. To figure this out, you may want to find out how exactly custody is split between your parents. You can even call out to your local police department to see what exactly they would do in your situation.

If you need any resources from us or just want to talk more about what you're going through please don't hesitate to reach out to us again! You can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY, we are 24/7 so someone will always be here to answer and help in the best way that we can.

• Hi I'm 17and im from McAllen, TX and my I want to stay with my dad but my mom doesn't let me because she just doesnt want me to,stay with my dad if she calls the cops am I forced to stay with my mom or can I illegally stay with my dad without being force to go back to my mom custody

Comment

• ccsmod1
            ccsmod1 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help. You ask a good question.18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. A good way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth. They should be able to tell you if they would make you go back home to your mom, and whether your dad could get into trouble for taking you in. Please don't hesitate to give us a call any time 24/7 if you need to talk. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.

• Sooo I am 16 and I am going to be 17 in 5 months the problem is I need to be in a stable home but we are moving for the forth time this year. We move every year and it causes a lot of stress its making my grades decline, and making my depression worse. My parents are some what emotionally abusive, and controlling so I want to emancipate can I do that with out there permission?

Comment

• ccsmod10
            ccsmod10 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi there,
            Thanks for reaching out to NRS. We appreciate you explaining a bit about your situation and were here to help in any way we can.
            You mentioned living in an unstable home, that’s understandable that you want to get away from your parents. You don’t deserve to be abused and any kind of abuse is not okay. You’re able to report the abuse, we can help you do that if you decide you want to. There’s also Child Help (national child abuse hotline) at (800) 422-4453. You also mentioned that you’re dealing with mental health issues, if you ever wanted resources for we are also here to help find those.
            Regarding the question you asked about emancipation, unfortunately we are not legal experts. We do know that it is a bit of a process and if you call into our safeline, we can help find legal resources in your area. They would be able to answer the legal questions and walk you through that process.
            Our safeline is open 24/7 and we also have a chatting service through our website. You’re not alone in this and we are here to support you. Our safeline is (800) 786-2929.
            Stay safe, NRS

• I am 17 and I can't stay here anymore . My mother is a huge hypocrite as far as Christian life and things like that go. She's emotionally abusive occasionally. And a huge Narcsissist ... She threatens to keep me from having a job, going anywhere , being with my boyfriend of one year and 3 months, and paying my phone bill. It doesn't cross my mind that she won't do it .. Her parenting is basically insulting . I want to move out and into my oldest sisters home. My oldest sister is 28. I live in Texas and I was wondering if it's legal for me to leave without my moms consent . Will the cops bring me back?

Comment

• ccsmod7
            ccsmod7 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hello there, thanks for reaching out today.

Sounds like you are fed up living at home with your mom due to the emotional abuse. That is so not okay that she threatens you and isolates you at home. It is not okay that her parenting style is just to insult you. Here at NRS, we truly want to help.

The easiest way to live with your sister at 17 is with your mom's permission. We know this might be really hard for you since it sounds like your mom can be hurtful and hard to talk to. You might try to get your sister to talk to your mom for you about you moving out. Sometimes it helps to include a trusted adult in on the situation when your mom is not hearing you.

We are not legal experts, but we can speak generally. The legal age you can move out in Texas is 18. If you leave without permission at 17, your mom can attempt to file a runaway report with your local police. Since 17 is so close to 18, it would depend on your local police department's runaway protocol with whether or not they would take a runaway report for you. If police do take a runaway report for you, you could be returned home if found. You might call your local police's non-emergency number to see if they would take a runaway report for you if you leave.

It sounds like this all is taking a large toll on you. You so deserve to be supported through this hard time. Please do not hesitate to reach out via chat or phone so we can provide you with support and try to brainstorm additional options with you.

Best of luck,

NRS
            Last edited by ccsmod7; 08-21-2017, 02:49 AM.
        Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x
        Working...
        X