Leaving home at 17 in Texas

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RE: Can i leave my house?

Hello,
    Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline forum.
    We’re sorry to hear about the constant fighting at home with mom. It sounds like she’s violated your privacy by looking through your phone and coupled with all the school troubles it sounds like things are overwhelming right now.
    We’re really glad to hear that your great grandmother is a source of support for you in this difficult time. Do you think you could ask her to help talk to your mom to convince mom to let you stay with her? Unfortunately we’re not legal experts here. Typically you’d need to have the permission of your legal guardian to live anywhere else but your home until you’re legally an adult (usually 1.
    If you’d like, you could try calling in here at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) and we’d be happy to have a conference call with you and your mother. We’d be able to help make sure your voice is heard and try to work out an alternative living situation or figure out a compromise between you and mom. It’s up to you, but our services are confidential and we’re available 24/7. If you’d just rather vent to someone who will listen, we’re here for that too.
    Thanks again for posting. It takes a lot of courage to ask for help. We’re hoping for the best for you.
    Take care,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat which is open every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST and can be accessed here:

National Runaway Safeline

info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)

1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

• RE: Can i leave my house?

Hello,
      If you have contacted NRS today through another means (for example, live chat, email or bulletin) for the same issue, it would be helpful to let us know that you have already contacted us. NRS understands it takes courage to reach out for help; therefore, we would like to minimize the need for you to repeat your situation and avoid offering you duplicate services.
      Best of luck,
      NRS
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat which is open every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST and can be accessed here:

Comment

• im 16 rn n ive ran away before but i was caught. im back at my moms n still nothings changed. same neglect, same depression. im from San Antonio tx n ive heard that when im 17 i can leave without parents consent. is is tru

Comment

• re:

Hey there,

18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. However, in that case there may be services (family counseling, etc.) available to you as a youth in crisis/runaway but again, police procedures related to offering those services can be different based on your location or the details of your situation. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth.

NRS

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NRSOnlineServicesSurvey

Comment

• I want to run away and live on my own. I'm 17

So I'm 17 and I life at my house ain't working. I have a descent enough money manage myself and not have to rely on anyone else. I live in New Mexico so is there any law that says I can't

Comment

• Re: Leaving home at 17 in Texas

Hi there,
              Thanks for reaching out to us here at NRS. It sounds like you are going through a tough situation. Sometimes living situations can get a little messy. Just as a disclaimer we are not legal experts, each state does things a little differently and sometimes even each county. With that said the legal age of adulthood in New Mexico is 18, what this means is in a general legal term you are not legally allowed to leave your legal guardians home unless given special permission. For the most accurate legal information it might help to call your local police department’s non-emergency line and ask them very general questions about how they might handle this kind of situation. If you did not feel like giving any personal information you could ask hypothetically.
              We hope this answers your question a little and would be more than happy to answer more if you need. Please feel free reach out to us at any time either at our toll free 24hr hotline or at our online live chat.
              Best of luck,
              NRS

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NRSOnlineServicesSurvey

Comment

• leaving the house at 17

Im 16 about to be 17 in march i live in houston tx my house environment aint that good right now with my father yelling and cussing all the time i supply cant take it , dont get me wrong i have it good but i dont like the fact how he doesnt treat me with the respect i need. Im a respectful kid who goes to school and keep my grades up with no trouble around my question is once i turn 17 can i leave my house?

Comment

• Please help me.
                  I live in Texas, I am 17 and I turn 18 in December, I'm only a junior in high school, but I can't take living here any longer. My mom married this man when I was 3 years old and he's the only dad
                  i have ever known; however, he doesn't even act like a dad. I can't have a pleasant conversation with him, any conversation we ever do have leaves me angry or in tears. I hate him so much, he's obsessive and controlling, and an overall jerk. He barely even lets me leave the house unless it is a school related event, so I just try to do as much school things as possible so I am never home. I hate coming here, it doesn't feel like a home, it feels like a jail. Being around this man makes me feel so uncomfortable. He is literally the reason I cry myself to sleep every night. He told me that if I try to run away he'll just call the cops and have them bring me back home and then if it happens again he'll call the cops again and have me put in this runaway center that feels more like a prison than anything else and it will go on my record. Is that true? Can they make me come back and then put me in a place like this? Can he have any control over legal matters considering he isn't even my dad?

Comment

• My mom kicked me out last night I found a place to stay now she's saying she wants me back home and I do not want to go home what do I do? Can I legally stay at the new residence or do I have to go back to my parents ?? I'm 17 and will be 18 in a couple months

Comment

• RE: Leaving home at 17 in Texas

Hi
                      Thanks for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline, we are sorry to hear that your mom decided to kick you out, we hope you know that this is not okay, and that you should have not have to deal with that.
                      However, it sounds like she is your legal guardian, if that is the case, she has the right to decide where you live, and if you decide not to return, she also has the legal right to file a runaway report, which could have the police being on the lookout for you, and get you to return home.
                      Hope this response is helpful, if you have any more questions, you can contact us here at the National Runaway Safeline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We can discuss this into further detail if you decide to give us a call, and we would be able to explore the situation more with you.

Best of luck,

NRS

Comment

• Leaving home at 17

I am turning 17 in a short amount of time, I live with my mother at this time and I live in San Angelo, Texas. I want to leave home because it hasn't gone very well in my life with my family. This has happened since I was younger. I am not allowed to even go down the street to my friends house or have a relationship with any girl. It has gotten to verbal abuse and I mentioned that I want to move out because my mother (and my dad formal US Marine who is in prison for illegal reentry to the US) and they, especially my mother, have said I couldn't because they just want to keep controlling me.
                        Its not only that, but my parents are always moving to places or are always in situations where I do not want to spend my life in, for example my dad Is in prison and if he gets deported, we will have to move to mexico for like literally the 7th time. We just leave everything and everyone behind and forget about it. I don't want to live like that just not knowing. We will most likely stay in San Angelo, TX though.
                        I am homeschooled and I have a job. I can certainly care for myself, so I am wondering if I can leave home at 17 without being forced to go back.

Comment

• ccsmod2
                          ccsmod2 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us. You mentioned that you are working, so you seem pretty independent. 18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. However, in that case there may be services (family counseling, etc.) available to you as a youth in crisis/runaway but again, police procedures related to offering those services can be different based on your location or the details of your situation. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth.

Take care,
                          NRS
                      Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      x
                      Working...
                      X