No announcement yet.

Leaving home at 17 in Texas

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaving home at 17 in Texas

I'm 17 and I just got caught smoking so my Dad is wanting to kick me out and I stay with my Mom. I don't think I could live with my Mom because we don't get along. I think if I were to live with her I would either get extremely depressed or start doing bigger drugs ( not planning it, I can just see it happening). I've heard places you can be 17 in Texas and leave without parent consent as long as your in a safe environment and you call your parents and tell them your okay. Is this true? Also would the people I would be staying with get in any trouble? Please don't answer unless you know for sure.

Re: Leaving home at 17 in Texas

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Switchboard. We are sorry to hear that life at home is not working out for you. We are not legal experts but we can speak only generally about laws effecting minors leaving home without permission. When it comes to runaways, it is said that Texas is one of those states that operate loosely based on the city and county you are in.

Usually, it comes down to police discretion for what action is taken. Seventeen is that age that gives you some leeway. It does not mean that your parents do not reserve the right to call the police hoping to report you as a runaway. However, the police do not always come looking for you.

The most they are expected to do is file the report. If they do take one from your parents, if they knew where you are, it is likely that the police might show up but they are not always required to take you home if you are safe. If you want to stay with the people you are staying with, it might be something the police is able to work out. We are not in the position to tell you what to do but we wish to hear from you also. Have you thought about other alternatives to your situation? What if you sat with your parents and work out a compromise?

Do you think it might help to speak with the folks first and then have your friend's family communicate with your parents after? We hope we have answered most of your questions. If you need more specific answers, the police are certainly one option. If you wish to speak to us in person, we can be reached 24 hours a day at 1800RUNAWAY. We are confidential and anonymous. Justice for Children at (1800)733-0059 is a great place to contact for more insights into local laws for TX as well. Their website is http://www.jfcadvocacy.org. They are available 8am-5pm (CST). They help develop and implement a full range of solutions to enhance the quality of life for children also. We wish you luck.

-NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat which is open every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST and can be accessed here:

National Runaway Safeline
    info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

leaving home at 17

im 16 turning 17 in 3 weeks. I work two jobs and do homeschool. I live with my older sister and she has no guardianship over me am i able to leave home at 17?

Comment

Re: leaving home at 17

Hello,
        We’re glad you decided to reach out to the National Runaway Switchboard. It sounds like you’ve got a lot going on and are currently living with your sister who does not have guardianship of you. It is great to hear that you have been able to maintain 2 jobs and homeschool in spite of everything you're experiencing. Would simply talking to your guardian and asking for permission to leave be an option? We are not legal experts here, but if we know for sure your city and state, we can try our best to provide legal referrals.

Our general understanding is that pretty much all states recognize 18 as the age of majority (and legal age to leave home.) However, 17 can be a gray area in some states, so to know exactly how your area handles that age, you could always call local police or legal aid. You are welcome to contact us directly to continue discussing your situation. We can be reached from 4:30 to 11:30pm CST every day through our Live Chat (big red button at www.1800runaway.org) or 24/7 by calling us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We wish you the best of luck and hope things work out for you!
        -NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat which is open every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST and can be accessed here:

Comment

17 wanting to leave

I'm currently 17, I live with my mom and father. They recently found out that I'm dating this guy they don't approve of. We've always had a bad relationship my parents and I. It's gotten physical as well as verbally abusive. When I was younger they were actually being investigated by CPS. I'm wanting to run away from home and go live with my boyfriend and his family who have already said that they would gladly take me in. Would it be possible to leave home now and not have to go back at all?

Comment

re: leaving home at 17 in Texas

Hi,
            Thank you so much for contacting us here at the National Runaway Switchboard. It sounds like you’re dealing with a difficult situation. You mentioned that your parents have been physically and verbally abusive before, and that they were investigated by CPS. That seems like that would be hard to go through. What happened as a result of that? One option you might want to consider is filing another abuse report. CPS might be able to help you with the situation. You also said that you are considering leaving home. Leaving home at 17 is still considered running away because you are a minor, but sometimes police stations don’t do as much in terms of looking for you or bringing you back since you are so close to being of legal age. You might want to consider calling your local police station and asking how they deal with runaway situations, especially at 17 years old, since it varies from city to city. Another thing you should know is if you stay with their family, they are technically harboring a runaway, which could have legal consequences for them if the police do get involved.
            It’s understandable that you would be upset with your parents. Have you thought about talking to them about what’s going on? What do you think would happen if you talked to them? It seems like you’re going through a tough time.
            We are here to help you, so please feel free to call us if you would like to talk more at our 24/7 number 1-800-RUNAWAY or use the live chat at our website WWW.1800runaway.org, which is available 4:30-11:30 PM CST. Thank you for reaching out to us, and good luck.

Comment

Leaving home at 17

I am currently 16 and will be 17 in December. I have a 6 month old baby girl, and live 5 hours away from her father. We moved due to jobs but my parents almost refuse to let me go visit her dad and his family. My boyfriend and I have a very strong relationship and his parents have offered many times for us to live with them. My parents refuse to let that happen. They are very strict and stubborn. Things at home are not super bad, like physical abuse. But my mom is emotionally abusive. I have ran away before but the cops never got involved. Is there anyway I can leave home with my child and live with my boyfriend? If so, what do I need to do.

Comment

RE: Leaving Home at 17

Hello, thank you for reaching out to us during this difficult time. We are glad to hear your boyfriend and his family are very supportive of you. It sounds like you want your daughter to be a part of their lives. Have you considered talking to your parents about how important this is to you? You did not say what state you are in but depending on where you are the laws can be a little different. We are not legal experts and cannot offer advice but we can help you explore options and explain general information about the runaway laws.

While running away isn’t technically illegal your parents do have the option of filing a runaway report. Would they call the police if you ran away with your daughter this time? A runaway report is basically a national database that your information is entered into. It means that if you are found by police you are to be returned home immediately. Your boyfriend’s family might faces charges of ‘harboring a runaway’ if your parents did decide to file a report.

What would happen if you waited until you were legally 18? What would happen if you didn’t? We would like to talk to you in person to discuss your situation and help you find the best option for you and your daughter. We encourage you to try contacting us directly either by calling us 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or our Live Chat program. Visit www.1800runaway.org and click on the red “Live Chat” button everyday from 4:30 to 11:30 pm CST. Best of luck, we look forward to hearing from you!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NRSOnlineServicesSurvey

Comment

Leaving home at 17

I'm 17 and I live in Texas. I think it's okay to leave at 17 instead of 18. My parents are okay with it. They are just concerned if they have I sign a form stating that they no longer have responsibility over me

Comment

Re: Leaving home at 17 in Texas

Thanks so much for contacting us with your questions. It sounds like you are trying to get some legal information in regards to leaving your home when you are 17. In most states the age of majority is 18 but it depends on the city/state and sometimes even the county you are located in to determine how the police will deal with that situation. Usually in Texas these laws are dependent on the county that you are in. Now we are not lawyers here so we cannot give you are specific legal advice but we are certainly here to discuss some options. If you would like to know specifics about the age of majority in your area and what the police would do if a youth left at 17 you could call the nonemergency police in your area and ask them their policies.

It sounds like the other big thing to consider here is that it sounds like your parents are okay with you leaving. If your parents/legal guardians are okay with you going then it shouldn’t be a problem. If they are concerned about their responsibilities it may be a situation where they could write a note giving permission to the person you will be staying with to provide medical care decisions, school access, etc. until you turn 18. If they want to be extra careful about that process speaking with a lawyer may be an option to consider.

We really appreciate you reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Switchboard. If you need any further assistance or would like to discuss your situation more in depth you can reach us 24 hours a day at our crisis hotline 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We also have an online chat that is available through our website from 4:30p to 11:30p CST. There is always someone available to discuss options and even find resources in your area, such as legal aid options, if needed. All of our services are completely confidential and anonymous. Feel free to reach out to us anytime. Take care.

Comment

wanting to leave home

i am 16 turning 17 in January and i don't get along with my dad and step mom. I am dating someone who has a good job and his parents love me. I want to move out on my birthday but i dont want his family to get in trouble if im staying with them. If i have a job and continue to go to school and get good grades, like i always have, could my dad press charges? and could he make me come home?

Comment

help Please !

Hi im 16 . Gonna be 17 in five months. I live in the state of texas . I'm curently dating a guy my parents do not approve of .[ hes 19] We've had problems involving the cops before & i was wondering can i legally move out of my house with out my parents consent at age 17 ? My boyfriends parents are more than glad to take me in but i don't want to get them in trouble either . What can i do?

Comment

Thank you for reaching out to us and telling us your story. It sounds like you are going through a difficult time right now and we’re so glad that you have contacted us. Here at the National Runaway Safeline, we are not legally trained so we wouldn’t be able to give you a definite answer but we can try to find you some resources that may be able to help.

It sounds like you are about to turn 17 and are wondering if you can leave home without getting into trouble. You also mentioned that your boyfriend’s parents have said that you can stay with them; is this correct? We think it’s great that they are being supportive of you and offering you a safe place to stay if you were to leave home. Can you tell us more about what is going on?

Now, when you are under the age of 18, your parents are still responsible for your actions so they may have the option to file a runaway report with the local police. Generally speaking, running away isn’t illegal but it is considered a status offense; a status offense is something you can’t do when you are under the age of 18. If your parents were to file a report and the police located you, they may either take you to the police department or contact your parents to let them know you had been located. Also, in some states, your boyfriend and his family could face possible charges for harboring a runaway or contributing to the delinquency of a minor if you were to stay there. Do you think your parents would file a report?

If you are interested in exploring what resources may be available or what options you may have, please give us a call here at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); we are available 24 hours a day. You can also chat online with us from 4:30 PM-11:30 PM (CST), 7 days a week.

We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck!

~NRS

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NRSOnlineServicesSurvey

Comment

Leaving home at 17 in texas

I'm 17 and I live in texas with my grandparents.. I don't have any problems with them. I just want to live with my other grandpa and I know they won't allow me to live with him because he smokes weed. But I was wondering if I bought a bus ticket and went to live with him will it be considered a runway.. And if my grandparents called the police would the cops take me back to their house?

Comment

re: Leaving home at 17 in texas

Hi and thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are thinking about leaving your grandparents house without their permission. Is there anything in particular going on that is making you want to leave? Sometimes it can seem like running away is the only answer and we are certainly here to talk through your options with you. Have you tried talking with your grandparents about how you are feeling and that you want to go?

You ask a great question about what can happen if you leave. Because we are not legal experts, we can only respond in a general way. In most places if you were to runaway at 17, your legal guardian would have the right to file a runaway report and if you were then picked up by the police, you would be returned to them. If you are looking for a more specific answer of exactly what your rights are, you can always contact your local police department through the non-emergency line to ask about laws in your community. You can also contact us at 1-800-RUNAWAY 24 hours a day or chat with us live from 4:30-11:30pm CST to be connected to additional legal or supportive resources. Thanks again for reaching out to us and if there is anything else that we can do, please don’t hesitate to call.

Take care,
                              -NRS

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              x
                              Working...
                              X