X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reply: I'm 13, I live I'm California.

Hello,
    Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

We appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
    Generally speaking, a minor that encounters a police officer while reported as a runaway, may likely be detained until they can be returned home.
    Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows a runaway to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway.
    Keep in mind that we are not legal experts. A good way to find out the laws in your area is to call the non-emergency number of your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth.
    NRS is here to listen and here to help.

If you would like to speak more about your situation please contact us.
    To contact NRS call 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or live chat with us at www.1800Runaway.org

Take care,
    NRS

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• Hi! I want to move to California. So the legal age for Alabama is 19. Right now i am living with my mother. I am currently planning to move out to California in a couple months once i turn 18 and I will be living with my dad, who's in California. I am writing thos post to ask will she still have legal right over me once i moved go California? And is it legal for a 18 years old to fly alone from Alabama's airport? The minority law of this state is getting me confused. Please help! Will she able to press charged against me if i were to do this once I get to California? I dont want to be forced to move back to Alabama by the federal police. Please help!

Comment

• ccsmod1
        ccsmod1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Often, youth may reach out to NRS in several different ways to discuss their situation. If a response from NRS is not visible on the forum thread, it may be that we have already provided services to that individual through another platform we provide such as email, our crisis hotline, or our live chat service (in operation every day through our website at 1800runaway.org). NRS encourages anyone in need of assistance to contact us through our 24 hour crisis hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY to receive immediate support.

• Hi, I have some quick questions about "run aways" so ill be 18 in exactly a week... sadly i can not wait that long and ive been looking for places to stay... so what would happen if my parents called the police and reported me as a run away ? i honestly cant be around them anymore without them having them telling ill be nothing and how i am a coward and other things too.... but i have very supportive family and i cant go with them yet because they might get introuble but the main thing is that im basically trying to wait it out until im 18 and without them finding me and getting the police to try to find me but thank you x all the love

Comment

• ccsmod6
        ccsmod6 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reach out to us tonight. We're sorry things are so bad at your home right now. It's great to hear that you have another very supportive family that is willing to take you in, though! We can give you some information on runaway laws and we hope it helps you out a bit.

So for the most part if you are under the age of 18 you can be considered a runaway. Your parents could file a runaway report and if the police found you they would have to bring you back home. Sometimes, though, the police will not take a runaway report for someone who is so close to being 18. This really differs from police department to police department, though, so you would likely have to reach out to your local police department to see if they would take a runaway report for you or not. If they do not, you can leave home without your parents getting the police involved.

If you have anymore questions or just want to talk more about what you're going through please feel free to reach out to us again. You can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY, we are 24/7 and can even call out to your local police department with you if you'd like.

We wish you the best of luck with everything!

• Would police go out of state to return a child to a parent if the child is 17?

Comment

• Reply: Would police go out of state

Hello,
        Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

When a youth is reported as a runaway it becomes a part of a national data base. This means a runaway that is taken into police custody in another state may be held until a parent can make arrangements to transport the youth home.
        If you would like to speak more about your situation give us a call at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929)

Take care,
        NRS

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

• I am turning 18 this August, I'm planning on running away ,with my friend that is 18 already and lives with his parents ,if they think I'm 18 already ,can they get in trouble later on?

Comment

• ccsmod2
            ccsmod2 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you plan on running away from home to live with your friend. If you decide to leave home, your family has the right to file a runaway report. With a runaway report if the police find you, they would return you home. Running away is not illegal, but if you decide to stay with your friend, his family could get in trouble for harboring a runaway. However, some police departments do not accept runaway reports for 17 year old's. You could contact your local police through their non emergency phone number and ask about their runaway policy for 17 year old's. If you don't feel comfortable contacting the police, we could call them on your behalf. If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat.

• Hi. I am a mother of a 15 year old daughter. We a an intense conversation about her actions . yes i was upset i said that maybe she should go live with her dad. She was smart to repond an said you that she was gonna contact he uncle. I gave her the phone an walked away. Went to my room. Later i walked out and she had packed her things an left. I contact her through facebook several times since then. An she refuse to can home. I told we need to talk about what happened... Still refuse. We live in tijuana mexico. But i do work in usa and she was attending school in usa... What should i do? I was gonna go to police to report as runaway..

Comment

• ccsmod7
            ccsmod7 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are in a difficult situation, and we understand it takes courage to reach out for help. The National Runaway Safeline is located in the USA. Our knowledge of helpful community based resources and our understanding of youth in crisis related laws is limited to the USA. Generally, we would tell folks in your situation to reach out to local police to report your daughter as a runaway. Unfortunately, we are unfamiliar with Mexico's laws and we are not quite sure how USA police would respond if you tried to reach out to them if you are a resident of Mexico.

You might try to reach out your local law enforcement to learn about your options and local resources. If you ever do need resources in the U.S. please do not hesitate to call or chat us. We are sorry we are not able to better inform you about your options and we truly hope local authorities can point you in a better direction.

Best,

NRS

• Hello, I honestly don’t know if you guys are going to reply back but I am 14 years old and I am a female I am going to run away no doubt honestly I am going to stay with a relative and I don’t know what to do? How can I still go to school but live with my relative in another city 45 minutes away from me. My father said that if I were to runaway I won’t be able to come back but I don’t know if he is lying so what can I do?
          Last edited by ccsmod4; 03-14-2019, 02:22 AM.

Comment

• Reply: Hello i honestly dont know

Hello,
            Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you are considering running away from home. You know your situation best. We are unable to tell you what to do.
            We understand that sometimes situations can be tough to navigate.
            NRS is here to listen and here to help. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
            We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
            NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us

Comment

• I am 17 years old I ran away when I was 15 years old with my older brother for 3 years I did not go to school either because of family issues with my dad I lived in Ohio but now I live in California I turn 18 in 3 months and I do not know who to turn to because I left my papers in Ohio and cannot get them back and I would love to get an education "my GED" a job house cars whatever but I do not want to be homeless with no papers when I turn 18 and I need help what do I do.
              Last edited by ccsmod4; 06-05-2019, 03:08 AM.

Comment

• Reply: I am 17 years old I ran away

Hello,
                Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We would like to assist you if we can.

We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
                We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
                NRS

Comment

• Hello. I'm a mother of 3. My son's friend is struggling at home, she has no food, her father is not meeting her needs, there's no one at home to care for her, she was taken away from her mother and given to her father. She's 14. I want to welcome her into my home, she's very little, she deserves to be cared for, her father is never present at school. He didn't even enroll her in High school. I did it. Today she only ate one time. I went to feed her. This is braking my heart!! Please help

Comment

• ccsmod1
                    ccsmod1 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what's going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage.  It must be very stressful for your son's friend to be left on her own like this, it's so great to hear that she has you in her life to offer support!  From what you've said about her home life there may be some neglect going on at home.  If you think this is the case she (or you) can contact Child Protective Services to file a neglect report.  You can go to childhelp.org for more information on the reporting process.

If she does choose to run away and go to stay at your house her father can file a runaway report, which is essentially a missing person report.  Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor.  If a report is filed and she is located by the police she will most likely be returned to her father. Additionally, if she is found at your home you do run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway, which is a misdemeanor. Penalties for harboring a runaway vary from state to state, police officer to officer, and if her dad is interested in pressing these charges.

Of course, it may be beneficial for her to contact us directly to go in depth about the situation and explore other options that she may have available to her. She can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. She can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support in any way we can.

Stay safe,
                    NRS

• I have a fifteen year old daughter she lives in new Mexico gave up custody when she was young. She is miserable where she is and wants to run away. It kills me to see her suffering if she ran away to come be with me here in California can I get in trouble? Would they be able to force her to come back. Would I be able to enroll her in school..

Comment

• ccsmod3
                    ccsmod3 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you for reaching out to us. That sounds like a tough situation and you sound like you really care about the wellbeing of your daughter. Unfortunately, we are not legal experts but 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If the youth is under 18 and leaves home, without permission from her legal parent/guardian they may file her as a runaway and she may be returned home. Also, those who she stays with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions. If you want to find a legal aid in your area or talk further about what you are experiencing you can contact us at 1800-RUNAWAY. Remember we are confidential, 24/7 and here to help! Best of luck!

• I’m 16 years old, I don’t want to runaway but it feels like my only way out. I hate causing more problems for my mother but my abusive father who does NOT live with us is constantly threatening me and my girlfriend. I took the CHSPE so I’m not worried about school, I’m already going to college. My father recently made a copy of my mother’s house key without permission, I don’t feel safe in my own home. We try to get restraining orders but it never goes the way we want in court and we can’t serve him. I have a job and I’m saving up to move to a different city, but I won’t have my moms permission. I need more guidance.

Comment

• ccsmod3
                    ccsmod3 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like you are in a really difficult and scary situation. It’s understandable that you don’t feel safe if your father is violent and has access to your home. If you ever feel like you are in danger, please don’t hesitate to contact the police. It must be challenging being in a home and not feeling safe. Maybe you can consider other relatives that you could stay with in the meantime. Sometimes it helps to talk to family, friends, guidance counselor or someone about what is going on at home so that you have some support.
                    You also mentioned leaving home. We are not legal experts but 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, without permission from your legal parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those who you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions. You can contact us at 1800-Runaway, if you want to further discuss your options. Remember we are confidential, 24/7 and here to help! Best of luck!

• im 13 and if i run away to a close friends house and have permission from my mom thats its okay to run away and we notify the police, do the police have to investigate my mother and i?? I live in CA

Comment

• ccsmod15
                    ccsmod15 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hey there thanks for reaching out to NRS, it seems like you are going through a confusing time and its understandable to reach out for more information. We aren’t legal experts but as far as we know if you have parent permission to live with someone who isn’t your parent or guardian then the police won’t investigate it or try to bring you home. That could change if your parent also changed their mind and decided to file a runaway report. But as far as we know police won’t go out of their way to investigate if you are simply letting them know that you have permission to live elsewhere.
                    If you have more questions please feel free to ask us on our hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat with us online.
                Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
                x
                x
                Working...
                X