Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: runaway laws in california

Hello, and thank you for contacting us today.

It sounds like you’re looking for legal advice regarding a minor who is planning to run away at age 16, cross the California state line, and then return to California at age 18. It sounds like the minor is planning to do this hoping to avoid the foster care system and CPS.

We are not legal experts, and we do not give advice. However, one option you may have could be to contact a legal expert in California, and ask them for advice instead. This is just an option, and may not appeal to you – it is up to you to decide what you want to do. If you do choose to contact a legal expert, here are a couple of options in California for lawyers who donate their time:

The Alliance for Children’s Rights
    213-368-6010
    www.kids-alliance.org

Child Care Law Center
    415-394-7144
    www.childcarelaw.org

If you decide to contact them, be aware that they are probably open Monday through Friday, between 8am and 6pm – and likely to be closed on the weekends.

We’re really glad you decided to contact us today. If you want to continue this conversation, we are available 24 hours a day, every day, at 1-800-RUNAWAY (800-786-2929). We also have an instant messaging program you can access every day from 4:30pm to 11:30pm, Central time – there’s a big red button on our web site at www.1800RUNAWAY.org.

We wish you the best. We’ll be here if you contact us again.

~NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

runaway laws in calif

im a runaway from calif but i left to vegas and im on probation i have been gone for 3 months and my mom has just sent for the police to come look for me but ill be 17 teen july 22 can the state of C.A come to vegas and do anything because out here im adult

Comment

Runaway laws in California

Hi,
        Thanks for posting.

Since we are not legal experts we are unable to tell you what exactly the police can do in regards to your situation. That would be information only the Police Department in your city and state would have.
        You said you are from Ca. you have been gone 3 months and you are on probation.
        Is that correct?

Your probation officer may be in a better position to give specific information regarding your probation and legal standing.
        In other words do you know what the consequences are if you violate your parole?

The Police department of Las Vegas may have more information regarding the legal age status for out of state minors. How would you feel about contacting one of these departments?

We are sorry we can’t be more specific about your situation.
        Here are a couple of resources that might be able to provide more legal information:

The Alliance for Children’s Rights
        213-368-6010
        www.kids-alliance.org

Child Care Law Center
        415-394-7144
        www.childcarelaw.org

We understand your concern and would be glad to listen if you would like to explore your options.
        Please call our 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) 24hr crisis line to speak to one of our NRS liners.
        Our callers have the option to be anonymous and our calls are confidential.

NRS offers services for conference calling to parents, shelters, case managers and other agencies.
        We have a national data base which includes information and referrals for legal services.
        Calling is not always an option for some people so we offer other ways to contact NRS.

Since you used our NRS bulletin board through our website www.1800runaway.org you may have also noticed you can send a crisis email to NRS at [email protected] or use our Live Chat option.
        The Live chat operates from 4:30pm until 11:30pm 7days a week.

We wish you the best of luck and hope to hear from you.
        Take Care,
        NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

I'm going to be 17 and want to run away

I hate living here, im so depressed. My phone and laptop have been taken away, I'm typing this from my wii. Isn't that pathetic? I have no life and want to get away. My boyfriend's family is willing to take me in and take great care of me since its our plan for me to move there when im 18. My parents know none of this. My boyfriend's mom is more of a mom to me than my own. She's also my best friend. We've been best friends for 3 years. My parents are mean gross, filthy hoarders. Living here disgusts me. What i want to know is what are the laws for this in southern california? And will my boyfriend's family get into trouble for harboring me? can you please look into this for me? I have no easy way to do so. please respond asap. Thank you so much.

Comment

Re: runaway laws in california

Thank you for sharing your situation us, it sounds like you’re going through a lot in your home life. The situation you described at home, with your parents being hoarders and mean, sounds really difficult. Your boyfriend and his mother seem like they have been supportive of you and that your trust them. The situation you’re describing can go several ways. When you are a minor, if you leave without your parent’s permission and they file a runaway report, and if the person you are are staying with is over 18, they can get arrested for harboring a runaway.

You can always contact your local police department to find out what would happen or Legal Aid. You didn’t mention what city that you’re in, so here are few major city numbers in Southern California (San Diego: 877-534-2524; Riverside: 888-455-4257). The situation you describing at home could be considered neglect, in which Child Protection would need to get involved (if they haven’t been involved already). There is also the possibility of emancipation of a minor, which is a long process, but sometimes necessary. You can contact Legal Services for Children (888-292-4252) for more information. Please let us know if we can answer any more questions or provide more referrals. Thank you.

-NRS

Comment

Its me again from earlier

I don't want my best friend to be arrested, but i cant handle being here. im homeschooled so i can do school at my boyfriend's house. im in riverside. could you call and ask the laws on this?

if the police will come after me at 17? what will happened to my boyfriends parents for taking me in?
              my parents are so fake and pretend to be good parents. theyre mentally abusive. i am sneaking on my wii because i have no other way of communication. They make me depressed then tell me i need a therapist. I don't, i just need to get out of here. I hate it so much. I hate my parents. I get no affection, no love, they act like theyre so much better than me. this isnt a family. theyre not my family. my boyfriends family is my family and i just want to be with them

Comment

Re: runaway laws in california

We are sorry to hear that you don't feel like you have a positive and loving family and home environment. To address some of your questions, we can help you contact the law or police, but we would need you to contact us directly. If you are wondering if the police will come after you as a runaway, it depends on whether or not your parent's filed a runaway report or missing person's report for you. Secondly, they can request the police to come get you from your boyfriend's home if they know you are there, and your boyfriend's parents could be charged with harboring a runaway, if you are filed as a runaway and if your parents seek to press charges. Have you considered talking to your parent's about another living arrangement until you are of legal age?

We would be more than happy to continue discussing your situation with you. You can contact us directly either by calling us 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat program (red button at www.1800runaway.org).

-NRS

Comment

17 And A Druggy Mom

I Am 17 and 4 months and my mother does dope and she doesnt even hide it and today she told me that if i did not like the way she has her life than "Theres The Door" and so i called a good friend to come and get me and they did not i am in a safe home and i dont know what to do she said she was going to call the cops and me not feeling safe in the home where there is foot traffic with drugs in and out of the house and her doing sexual acts to get money is very conserning for me this isnt the first time she has kicked me out and now i feel like i am going to get the end of the stick what is the fastest and safest way i can be placed in to a different home or something
                  Help Please
                  W.B.

Comment

re: 17 And A Druggy Mom

Hello W.B.

Thanks for getting touch with the National Runaway Switchboard. It sounds like you have been experiencing some tough times with your mother and living at home. We are sorry to hear about the things you have been through and have had to witness. It seems that you are currently safe at a friend’s house and that your mother has since threatened to call the police on you. You mentioned that you do not feel safe because of drugs and prostitution involvement within your home. Is anyone else aware of what is taking place inside of your house? Has child protective services ever been contacted? It sounds like you are living in an unsafe environment and wanting to leave sounds understanding. Do you have a long-term alternative safe housing option? If you are in need of somewhere safe to go, we could work with you to determine the nearest safe place.

As far as the fastest and safest way to get placed in to a different home; that would probably involve contacting child protective services. In most cases, being placed into a different home is a legal matter which involves a judge. Child Help USA (1-800-422-4453) is a national hotline that works to prevent and treat child abuse. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). Our hotline is toll-free, confidential, anonymous, and is available 24/7. In addition to our hotline we provide Live Chat between 4:30pm and 11:30pm CST.

We look forward to hearing from you. We wish you the best and hope that you remain safe.

~NRS

Comment

Me and my Girlfriend

We are about 50 miles away from each other.We really want to be together again and are very depressed and lonely without each other.If i were to run away to go over there to her, would the cops be tracing me and searching for me? would I have to go with them if they found me?

Comment

Re: Me and My Girlfriend

Hello,
                        Thanks for reaching out to us during this difficult time. It sounds like you are having trouble being apart. You didn’t say how old you are, but what do you think could happen if your parents called the police? If you are a minor, your legal guardians may be able to file a runaway report. It basically means that your name is entered into a database that states if found, you must be returned to your guardian. While running away from home is not illegal, anyone that you stay with could potentially be charged with ‘harboring a runaway’.

Have you thought about other ways to communicate with your girlfriend? What would you do for money? Transportation? Do you have a plan once you get there? We would be more than happy to continue discussing your situation with you. You can contact us directly either by calling us 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat program (red button at www.1800runaway.org). We are a 24/7 hotline and are anonymous, confidential and here to help. Good luck and we look forward to hearing from you.

Comment

Re: Me and My Girlfriend

I am 16 and she is 17 and turns 18 next augast.For money, I will find anywork I can possibly do in another city.In california, how long does it take for a runaway report to go through? I know it is about 50 miles to get to her but I plan to walk there.I might take a taxi or bus but im unsure if the bus station would report me if i dont have an id and i buy a ticket with cash then we will head to a safe place.We both plan to be travelers for a while, we understand it would be hard but traveling to different places is what we dream of and we would make enough money to survive and head to the next destination like backpackers and such.

Comment

RE: Me and My Girlfriend

Hello again,
                            Thanks for contacting us. A runaway report is usually filed immediately when your guardian calls the police. Have you ever walked 50 miles or backpacked before? As stated before we are not here to tell you what to do but we want to hear from you to help you through this.

It sounds like you are very determined to be with your girlfriend. Most places of work require an address, have you thought about how to obtain a job without one? What campsites or shelters would you be staying in? Would her legal guardians file a runaway report as well? Please remember, we are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through live chat at www.1800runaway.org from 4:30 PM-11:30 PM (CST), 7 days a week. We would be happy to talk to both you and your girlfriend about the best ways to keep safe and what your options are. We look forward to hearing from you. Best of luck.

-NRS
                            Last edited by ccsmod10; 09-29-2012, 04:28 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Im so confused

I am 17 years of age. So I am a runaway technically and I left home after arguing and weeks of tension in the house I live in. my birthday is 9 months away and I really don’t know what to do I am tired of the being treated like a 6 year old but expected to work and do things on my own like a 17 year old. I also am adopted and have been for the last 5 years but ever since my guardian got married we have been aurguing and fighting a lot more I just want to move out now and go to live with my dad at his house but since im not yet 18 it seems as if I am ducking and dodging the police and my guardian until I can turn 18 but I still want to go to school I have five months left till I graduate. what can I do to just move out and live with my dad till im 18 since she is always kicking me out anyways

Comment

Re: Im so Confused

Hi,
                                It sounds like you're going through a lot right now at home and that you're getting pretty tired of trying to figure things out. We're glad that you were able to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Switchboard and that you could take some time to share what's happening.
                                You said that your adoptive mom keeps throwing you out, and that you also want to leave. Have you been able to talk with her about your thoughts on going to your dads? Does you dad think that this is also a good idea? Sometimes having them talk to each other may be beneficial so everyone can get on the same page and agree on different ideas.
                                The most important thing to us is that you have a way to stay safe. We would like very much to be able to talk with yo more about your situation and to help you find what you are looking for.
                                Please give us a call anytime at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our chat from 4:30-11:30 pm CST. We look forward to hearing from you again.
                                Best of luck,
                                NRS

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
                                x
                                x
                                Working...
                                X