No announcement yet.

14 year old kick out threats

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 14 year old kick out threats

    My friend who is 14 years old is worried about being kicked out. He doesn’t live in a healthy home at all.
    I’m 18 and live in my own apartment. I’m the only person he could possibly go to if he were to be kicked out, but we don’t know how to proceed legally if it happened.
    I want to make sure he can still go to school and all that, but I’m also worried about him being put back at home. We both fear that he could be taken by cps and put into fostering, or that either of us could go to jail if he lived in with me without legal precautions.
    He’s like a brother to me, and I want to help him I just don’t know how. I know he could try to be emancipated at 14, but he doesn’t meet the requirements of being able to take care of himself. Hence why we’ve been talking about the idea of him living with me.

  • #2
    Hi there,

    Thank you for reaching out, and for being a support for your friend. In a time of crisis, having someone in your corner can make all the difference.
    In regards to the emancipation, we are not legal experts but we can help you get a general sense of how emancipation works. Our general understanding is some states offer formal emancipation statutes while others do not unfortunately. Laws vary depending on your location, but in many states a minor can petition the court for emancipation to take responsibility for their own care before they turn 18. Generally speaking, courts are wary about granting emancipation. In most cases, youth would have to prove in court that they have an income and can care for themselves financially, and that they are able to live separately from their parents. It also helps to be in good standing at school. The court will also factor in the mental and physical welfare of the parents in order to establish the youths best interest. Usually the legal guardian would have to agree to this in court (there may be exceptions). Once a youth is emancipated, they can legally choose where they live, but they might still find that they cannot sign a lease or build credit until they turn 18. Having a friend they know they can stay with such as yourself could be helpful. The emancipation process can take several months or up to a year, and may cost money in the form of court fees and other expenses. Usually, the best way to learn about emancipation in your state is to contact a lawyer. You may also find information at your county family court. We can look up legal aid resources that may be able to help you with the process.
    If your friend were to run away from home, he would not be committing a crime and he wouldn’t be in legal trouble. Running away is illegal only because it is a status offense, meaning it has to do with age. Unless your friend gets into some kind of trouble, if he were found by police they would take him back home not arrest him or detain him. It is important for you to know that although he may not get into trouble, the person who is helping the youth could be charged for harboring a runaway.
    You mentioned that the case may actually be that he is kicked out of the home, which would not technically make him a runaway. Getting kicked out of a home while being a minor is illegal, the parent or legal guardian needs to make appropriate arrangements for the minor to stay with a family member or friend if they are not allowed in the home for whatever reason. Otherwise, it is considered a form of abuse and neglect and can be reportable. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody. Usually, when a child is taken into custody, family and friends are considered first options before entering the minor into foster care.
    We hope this helps! If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to chat with us or call us.

    Stay strong,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp