No announcement yet.

Moving at 17

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Moving at 17

    I have a friend who is turning 17 in May and she wants out of her house. Her mother isn't exactly physically abusive but is manipulative and verbally/emotionally abusive. Her mother has no intention of helping her with any issues she has and always find a way to make her daughter feel bad. I was hoping to get some advice on how to help this friend because getting emancipated is expensive I guess (I've never been emancipated so I wouldn't know). My friend wants out on exactly her 17th birthday. What can I do?

  • #2
    Hi there,

    Thanks for reaching out to us. It’s always great to have supportive person in your corner, thank you for reaching out to help your friend! We are not legal experts, but we can help you get a general sense of how emancipation works. Our general understanding is some states offer formal emancipation statutes while others do not unfortunately. Laws vary depending on your location, but in many states a minor can petition the court for emancipation to take responsibility for their own care before they turn 18. Generally speaking, courts are wary about granting emancipation. In most cases, you would have to prove in court that you have an income and can care for yourself financially, and that you are able to live separately from your parents. It also helps to be in good standing at school. The court will also factor in the mental and physical welfare of your parents in order to establish your best interest. Usually (but not always) your legal guardian would have to agree to this in court. Once you are emancipated, you can legally choose where you live, but you might still find that you cannot sign a lease or build credit until you turn 18. The emancipation process can take several months or up to a year, and may cost money in the form of court fees and other expenses. Usually, the best way to learn about emancipation in your state is to contact a lawyer. You may also find information at your county family court. We can look up legal aid resources that may be able to help you with the process. Please do not hesitate to call or chat if you have questions, need legal resources, or need to talk. We can explore your situation, go over all your options, and come up with a plan and resources to deal with your situation over the phone or on live chat. Another option for your friend may be an alternative living arrangement, this is where her mom would give the okay to her staying elsewhere. It can be difficult sometimes depending on how the parent feels about the subject of her moving out, but it would be legal. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.

    Stay strong,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp