Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• running away at 17

hello! i am currently 16, but i plan to run away a month or so before i turn 18. I want to go from texas to colorado. would i be returned/jailed if i ran away at this time? would it just be better to wait until i'm 18?

Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to write us here at NRS. It seems you want to know more about run away laws. While we are not legal experts, we can speak generally on this. 18 is usually the age you are able to leave home without permission. If you leave home at any point before turning 18, your parents/legal guardians can report you as a runaway to the police. Running away is not illegal, so you would not be arrested. However, it is a status offense which means there is a risk of police returning you home even if you are only a few weeks from turning 18. Once you do turn 18, you will be considered a legal adult with the legal freedom to choose where you live.

We hope this information is useful. If you have additional questions, do not hesitate to contact us directly by phone at 1-800-RUNAWAY or through live chat.

Good luck,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X