No announcement yet.


  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Abuse

    I am 12 year old girl I live in Jacksonville ,Florida and I want to runaway because I get abused by my parents. They hit me with their hands, belts and cords and I cant take it anymore. I have a 14 year old online boyfriend and he lives in St. Charles, Illinois and Is it possible for me to live with him .

  • #2

    Thanks for having the courage to reach out to National Runaway Safeline (NRS). It sounds like you are in a very difficult situation. No one should have to be treated the way you describe and it is good that you are seeking help.

    While we may not be able to solve your problem, we can offer a few options and some important information that can help. First, most states require that you be 18 or older to leave home without your parents’ permission. That doesn’t mean you can’t leave, but it means police may end up bringing you home. So, even though it doesn’t sound like asking your parents if you can leave, it might be an option to consider.

    A second option is to contact Child Protective Services to let them know that you are experiencing physical abuse. This is illegal, and they are required to investigate and provide assistance.

    A third option is to try to reach out to a family member – Aunt, Uncle, Grandparent; or a close adult family friend to see if they might intervene – either by speaking with you, or trying to talk with your parents in order to reach some kind of improvement in your situation.

    Finally, in some states, you can look into ‘emacipation’. This is where you declare yourself an adult. You may have to be 16 to look into this option. This is a legal option that requires resources and local information. We can help assist you with that if needed.

    If you think it would help to talk with someone about mental health, you can reach out to a crisis counselor at .NAMI 24/7 by texting 741741.

    If you need to communicate directly with NRS, we can communicate by phone or chat – at 1-800-runaway.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp