Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it legal to run away if my mother tells me to?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it legal to run away if my mother tells me to?

My mom and I got into a heated argument today and she told me to leave, and I’m seriously considering it. Is it legal to do so, since she told me to leave?

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to NRS. I’m sorry to hear that you and your mom got into a heated argument and that she told you to leave. Nobody deserves to hear that, especially from their mother.

While it isn’t necessarily illegal to runaway, there could be consequences. Your mom can file a runaway report for the police to try and find you and bring you home. If you decide to stay with another adult without the consent from your mom there may be legal ramifications for that adult.

Unfortunately her telling you to leave does not give really you permission to do so.

Also, your mother has no right to kick you out and if your mom does get physical with you, you have every right to call the police.

If you want to talk about more options, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 anytime, we are here 24/7 to help.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X