Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaving

I'm 17 years old and I'm from Rochester, NY. Lately my mom and my brother have been fighting a lot. I feel like I do all the work around the house as in chores and stuff because my brother won't even leave the computer for more than the bathroom or food and my mom is a workaholic. My parents are divorced and if I go to live with my dad, my mom will just take me away again. My mom has already kicked me out of the house once before. And I feel completely unwanted and alone in my family. I've started to self injure again and now I'm to the point where I'm thinking of just killing myself to get away from it all. I really can't take living where I am and I've got no where else to go but a shelter. But that poses all kinds of legal issues that I don't even know. I need help to get out and I need it fast.
  • ccsmod7
    Super Moderator
    • May 2007

Re: Leaving

Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Switchboard. I'm sorry to hear that you are having such a rough time at home right now. It sounds like your family's actions and fighting have really taken a toll on you. You even mentioned that you have started self-injurious behavior and even thinking of killing yourself. Have you ever had these thoughts before? Are you currently feeling suicidal? Is there anyone that you have been able to talk to about these feelings? A Friend, Family member, counselor? I know you said that you feel alone in your family, do you think you would be able to bring any of these feelings up to your family members? Do you think counseling would be an option?
    I know you mentioned some things about running away but not having a place to stay but a shelter. The deal with shelters is that if you are underage they usually are required to contact your legal guardian at some point, although some don't require consent from the parent. You mentioned staying at your dad's house but that you don't think your mom would approve. Do you think your dad's house would be a better environment for you? If you discuss with your mom that you need some time away do you think she will let you have that, and maybe spend some time at your father's?
    I looked up several shelters in Rochester, which also provide counseling, just in case you wanted to call and get some information.

Center for Youth Services
    (585)473-2464
    Genesis House
    (585)987-9500
    YWCA of Rochester
    (585)546-7740

Also, we are here for you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week if you ever want to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY. If you just want to talk or if you want to discuss some more options that might be helpful don’t hesitate to give us a call. Good luck with everything and call us if you need to.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I have felt suicidal before and I have talked to someone about them before. But right now that person is no longer in my life. As for feeling alone, I have told my family that and they tell me that it's just the way I feel and not what's actually true. I just got into an argument with my family tonight and they basically ganged up on me about my "complains" in this family. Counseling is no longer an option in my family. We all hate counselors. And as for my dad's, my mom just kicked me out again to my dad's and said that if I move in with him that don't contact her again...ever. And now I have no clue what I'm going to do. I just have completely lost my life and dunno what's going on.

Comment

• ccsmod7
        Super Moderator
        • May 2007

I'm very sorry that you have to go through all of this with your family. It can't be easy to feel alone while trying to deal with everything. It also doesn't seem fair that your mom is kicking you out of the house, but then saying if you don't come back she won't speak to you again. It sounds like you feel there aren't a lot of options for this situation, but if you felt comfortable calling us here at 1-800-RUNAWAY, we may be able to help you talk through what's going on. We are a completely confidential hotline and there is always someone here to listen. Good luck and give us a call when you're ready.
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
        x
        x
        Working...
        X