No announcement yet.

18, miserable family situation, advice on running away safely?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 18, miserable family situation, advice on running away safely?

    I'm 18 and with a recent family situation I will have more burdens that I just can't deal with anymore. My whole life since about 5th grade I've just felt miserable and my parents aren't abusive but are very overbearing so I've never been able to go out with friends go to events etc. I've attempted suicide before a few years ago with medicine but I just ended up really sick and was able to play it off as feeling unwell. I don't really want to die but I already have little time for classes / learning skills and will have even less time very soon. I just want to have control over my life for once, I know in my state I'm legally emancipated from my parents and high school but I would like to continue my online classes if possible. I know there is probably a legal headache with my social security etc if I leave home but I really can't take it anymore. Are youth shelters the safest option? I have family several states over who may be willing to take me in but I'd need to take a bus to get there as I don't have a car. Any advice is appreciated thanks.

  • #2
    Hello There,

    Thank you so much for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a really difficult time right now and we are so glad that you reached out to us.

    We know you mentioned suicide, and we are glad you are able to share your story and help other by sharing it. We also want you to know that you are not alone and you do not have to deal with these emotions alone. If you are ever feeling suicidal or just need someone to talk to please reach out to The National Suicide Prevention Hotline at: 1800-273-8255. There is always someone willing to help and willing to listen.

    We are not legal experts but in most cases the legal age to leave home is 18 years old, we are unsure how this would affect social security. If you have family, you could stay with that may be a more stable option than staying at a shelter. Another option for you would be staying at a transitional living program, they have programs that are more of a long term option. If you give us a call we can help you with looking for shelters or TLP’s.

    We hope that this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are available 24/7 to listen and to provide support. Best of luck!
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp