No announcement yet.

I’m currently 17, and turn 18, in august 2021

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ccsmod0
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on with your mom. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    The easiest way to leave home is with your parents' permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button). If you would like to look into further emotional support options, you can text with a crisis worker at the National Alliance on Mental Illness 24/7 by texting "NAMI" to 741741.
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,

    Leave a comment:

  • Guest
    Guest started a topic I’m currently 17, and turn 18, in august 2021

    I’m currently 17, and turn 18, in august 2021

    right now, i am age 17, on march 1st 2021. my mom is going slightly nuts and no one will do anything about it. i don’t want to get legal involved and i know there’s a possibility that police could be involved. every day my mom gets more moodier and moodier. some days she’ll sit and watch tv and laugh so hard that when she laughs she forgets what she’s doing and pees herself in the chair. other days she will get mad about something in the present that reminded her of her past and she goes on about her past. one day she had even called me baggage. every other day she’s telling me to move in with my grandma, or to move out, and i seriously want to at this point.

    although i do not drive, because i can’t pass a permit test when i get the chance to go take it, i do have a job, that i will have for a very long time. my boss has reminded me of that every time i make a mistake. now, i’ve talked to my boss about this situation, and she has offered to help me out. the town i live in used to have a nursing home. my boss put tons of money into it, and she has made each wing something different. one wing is a restaurant which is where i work. the other wings consist of a bar, a motel and appartments.

    i have been saving up money for awhile incase i do just decide to leave or my mom locks me out of the house. my boss has no empty apartments but she will by the time i turn 18. until then, she has offered to let me stay in a room of the motel wing if i need too. it has everything. a bathroom, a bed, and a little kitchen area. i’d be able to have everything i need. she told me she would not take any of my money back from me like for rent until i get more stable, and can afford to pay all my bills with some that i could use to pay her.

    that means i’d have money for food, a roof over my head, and a stable job to support my self. and i AM still in school and i’ve thought about how to get there too since i don’t drive. i babysit most morning and ride the bus to school with the kids i babysit even though i still live at home. the woman i babysit for has been grateful to let me come in the mornings even on days that i don’t babysit to ride the bus to school. and after school i’d get on the same bus, and she’s drop me off at the motel place i could stay whenever i was ready to go back.

    with all this information, with me still being able to support myself and pay for things needed. i would like to know, if in the state of missouri would it be possible for me to move out, and the police make me not go back? since i can provide for myself? i live in missouri, if that’s helpful. please let me know!
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp