Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I move into my friends house at the age of 14?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod3
    replied
    Hey there, and thanks for contacting NRS. We know that it can take a lot of courage to reach out for support, and we're glad you took that step.

While you're the only one (alongside your parents) who can decide what's in your best interests, there are certainly various factors to consider when thinking about leaving home. It sounds like you might be aware of this, but having parental consent to leave home and stay somewhere else is one of the few ways that you can do so without any potential legal consequences. Asking your parents for their permission is definitely a good route to consider (rather than just going), and it helps make sure that your friend's family won't have any issues with the law. Thinking about things from a financial perspective is also a wise decision as well. Unless your parents and your friend's parents arrange something else, your parents are technically still responsible for providing for you. Figuring out what that looks like is something everyone involved should be apart of.

As far as the reasons behind why you're considering leaving home...it sounds like you could be happier with how things are with your parents. This is definitely one of those situations where it might be a good idea to spend some time sitting with the concept that "the grass isn't always greener on the other side". Consider thinking about the issues that you're having with your parents and where they're coming from. Are you having a communication problem? Are you getting into trouble for spending too much time on social media or on the phone with your friends? Is dad super critical of how you're doing in school? As you think about what's going on, keep in mind that you are likely going to have expectations in place at your friend's house as well, and sometimes they will be ones you don't like or agree with. When things get tough or leave you feeling uncomfortable, how will you work through them? Being able to problem solve, communicate, and process the situations that we're in is a major part of getting older, so it's important that you develop the tools needed in order to do so. If, when thinking over things, you feel like your default sort of veers toward leaving, it might be worth considering some of your other options.

If you'd like to chat in more detail about what's going on at home, how you're feeling, or chat through some options with us, please feel free to reach out to us directly by calling 1-800-RUNAWAY or by chatting with us live at www.1800runaway.org. We're available 24/7 and are always happy to listen, and to help.

Best,

NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Can I move into my friends house at the age of 14?

Can I move into my friends house at the age of 14?

I don’t really know where it start, so sorry if this is a mess. My relationship with my parents aren’t the best but it isn’t the worst, it’s mainly my father that has problems with me and all that. Do you think it’s to much for me to go and live with my friend’s family’s. Her family said it would be okay with them since I have know her for 5 years and we’re pretty close and I talk to her family all the time (I’m rambling) They are in a different state and if my mom is concerned that is isn’t gonna see me that much I was think I could come up when theres a major holiday or break, My main concerns are the financial aspect, Food electricity and all that and there’s that process of guardian ship and I also play sports, I need help I just trying to get out of here and I don’t know if this is a good idea or not?
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
x
x
Working...
X