Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need to know the runaway laws for Michigan, Mississippi, and Florida.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need to know the runaway laws for Michigan, Mississippi, and Florida.

What are the runaway laws in Michigan, Mississippi, and Florida? Also if I run away and get out of state can the police still send me home?

Hi there. Thanks for contacting us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We know that it can take a lot of courage to reach out for support, and we're glad you took that step.

While we'd like to be able to provide you with the information requested, we really need a better understanding of what you'd specifically like to know in order to do that. That said, here's a review that you can look through to see if the information that you're looking for regarding laws is included: https://nlchp.org/wp-content/uploads...out_a_Home.pdf If not, you can reach out to us directly so that we can learn more about what's going on and develop a better understanding of the exact information that you're looking for.

In terms of your question regarding running away to another state--the simple answer is yes. If you runaway and leave the state, the police can (and will) return you home. If there are any allegations of abuse in the home, Child Protective Services will get involved to ensure you're returned to an environment that is safest for you. Regardless of the exact place that you go to, wherever your legal guardian lives is the state that you will be returned to--that is considered your home state. All US states have a contract with one another called the Interstate Compact for Juveniles (ICJ). You can find out more about this contract by doing a quick Google search, but amongst other things, it means that runaway minors will be returned to their home state.

If you want to chat in more detail about what's going on, have any additional questions, or just want to explore your options, please feel free to reach out to us directly by calling 1-800-RUNAWAY or by chatting with us live at www.1800runaway.org. We're available 24/7 and are always happy to listen, and to help.

Take care.

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X