No announcement yet.


  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • help

    Please, I'm a 17 year old ftm transguy and I need help trying to move out NOW. My parents are really getting to me, to the point I'm afraid I'm losing some of my memory. They're so emotionally abusive I can't take it anymore. I don't know if I can get emancipated but I know a couple who's gonna let me move in with them and support/adopt me. But I can't wait until I'm 18 anymore it's 7 months I'll be gone by then. I can't take it please help I'm in Michigan I need to move out please someone help me.

  • #2
    Hey there, thanks for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline (NRS). It sounds like you’re going through a challenging time and we’re glad you reached out. It’s resourceful of you to find us, and brave of you to reach out for support! It sounds like there is a lot we could discuss in a live online chat or hotline call that we don’t know through only reading this post so please feel free to contact us either of those ways for more support.

    While we are NOT experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without guardian permission. For more specifics on the law, the local Non-Emergency Police or a Legal Aid agency may better answer legal questions. Some youth have found it useful to ask the non-emergency police if they would actively look for a 17-year old youth that leaves home and if the people the youth is staying with might possibility be charged with “harboring a runaway” (if you think your guardian might file a runaway report with the local police).

    Based on what you’ve shared we’ve included resource options you might consider reaching out to. However, because we don’t know where in Michigan you are located we’ve shared pretty general resources, but we hope you can use our CHAT SERVICE or HOTLINE to find resources that are closest to you in Michigan.

    Michigan Legal Help, The Ark Services for Youth, call 1-800-873-8336 or

    Legal Services of South Central Michigan (LSSCM) provides free legal advice… phone numbers are listed here

    Neighborhood Legal Services Michigan (NLSM), Legal Advocacy Center, call 313.874.5820 or

    National Safe Place to find safe spaces for youth at

    The Trevor Project provides crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer & questioning youth. or hotline at 1-866-488-7386.

    National Suicide Prevention Lifeline provides 24/7, free and confidential support for people in distress. 1-800-273-8255 or their online chat service at

    If you contact us via our confidential CHAT service or the HOTLINE we can discuss options with you in real time. Often having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. And if you call us, we are happy to call out to youth agencies and legal resources with you if you’d like.

    You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this difficult time.

    We are LIMITED in the Number of Times we can respond Via the FORUM so if you’d like further contact, please instead contact us via our online chat service at (click on the CHAT button) or our hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929). We are available 24/7. We are here for you and wish you all the best, NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp