No announcement yet.

Would I legally be able to move in with my boyfriend without parental consent at 17?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Would I legally be able to move in with my boyfriend without parental consent at 17?

    My boyfriend is 23 and I'm 17 (18 in January) and I want to move in with him. He has a apartment and we both get government checks each month so we're covered on everything but my mom doesn't want me to move in with him until I'm 18. My mom is moving is December so would I be able to just move in with him instead? Would she be able to get the police to force me back? Thanks!

  • #2
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. Since you are so close to turning 18 it’s possible that police would not bother to get involved and let you stay. Since your boyfriend is older than you though, you may want to check laws about statutory rape as just by living with him he could also be vulnerable to those charges as well. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif