No announcement yet.

I’m 15 and pregnant, can I move in with my Boyfriend?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I’m 15 and pregnant, can I move in with my Boyfriend?

    Hi, I’m 15 years old and I’m pregnant. My boyfriend is 17 years old and says he will be responsible. His parents accept me and they said I can move in with them. My family are trying to force me to move back in my house. I actually have been staying at my boyfriends house without my parents’ consent. What can happen? Or what can I do?

  • #2
    Hi there,

    Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at NRS and we appreciate you sharing your situation with us. It sounds like there is a lot you are faced with right now and you are concerned about your living situation. While we are not legal experts, we can speak generally on this. 18 is usually the age you are able to decide where you live without your parents' permission. If you stay with your boyfriend without your parents' permission, they could report you as a runaway to the police. Running away is not illegal, so you would not get into any legal trouble. However, it is a status offense which means your parents can ask the police to return you home.

    One option could be to pursue emancipation. Our general understanding is some states offer formal emancipation statutes while others do not unfortunately. Laws vary depending on your location, but in many states a minor can petition the court for emancipation to take responsibility for their own care before they turn 18. Generally speaking, courts are wary about granting emancipation.  In most cases, you would have to prove in court that you have an income and can care for yourself financially, and that you are able to live separately from your parents. If you are granted emancipation, you can legally choose where you live. The emancipation process can take several months or up to a year, and may cost money in the form of court fees and other expenses. Usually, the best way to learn about emancipation in your state is to contact a lawyer. You may also find information at your county family court. We can look up legal aid resources that may be able to help you with the process.

    P-lease do not hesitate to call or chat if you have questions, need legal resources, or need to talk. We can explore your situation, go over all your options, and come up with a plan and resources to deal with your si-tuation over the phone or on live chat.  We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck. We are best able to help by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or through live chat at

    Take care,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp