No announcement yet.

Im 16 and want to move with my grandma but parents wont let me.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Im 16 and want to move with my grandma but parents wont let me.

    Im 16 and I want to move in with my grandma. I dont like living with my mom or my step-dad he always yelling and to be onest If he touches me one more time Im going to fight back. I dont want it to get that far so Im trying to resolve the problem before it happens. They are forcing me to be a Jehovah Witness and I dont want to be one. Its like im in prision locked up. They wont let me go hang out with friends or go anywhere. I barley see my family. There are 365 days in a year and I see my family about only 48/365 days. I have told them numerous of time I dont want to be in this religion and I want to live with my grandma. Is there anyway I can move without their consent? If so I would appreciate any help. Thank you.

  • #2
    Hey there,

    Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension. It makes sense that as you get older you would question things like faith and if your spirituality differs from your parents. It's not OK for your parents to push you into anything that you are uncomfortable with.

    You mentioned something about your stepdad touching you that raises some concern about your well being. If you are currently at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. If any harm or abuse is happening at home, you have the right to report it. If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering.

    It's great to hear that you are close with your grandma and have her place as an option. It may be beneficial to speak with your grandma directly about your desire to live with her. Sometimes custody transfers will need to go through the family court system and it may be beneficial to speak with a legal advocate. If you need help locating a legal aid group near you you can check out

    If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

    Stay safe,


    We'd love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to support youth and families. Please click the link below to fill out our survey:
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif