No announcement yet.

16 year old in abusive household looking for help

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 16 year old in abusive household looking for help

    I’m a 16 year old living in Florida, with 3 younger siblings. I have been emotionally, verbally, and physically abused for almost my whole life. I need advice on what I can legally do to fix this problem.

    for some background information, my mother (single mom, father isn’t in the picture) does not allow me to see my friends or talk to my friends, she criticizes me and everything about them (when they, genuinely, do nothing wrong. She says she can “see straight through them” and then makes accusations about both me and them), CONTINUOUSLY criticizes my boyfriend, simply because she doesn’t like how he looks. She calls me names, has told me she wishes I was dead/an abortion, tells me she hopes I get r*ped, and threatens to make me quit my job.

    when she gets physical with me, she smacks my face repeatedly, grabs my face, and throws things at me occasionally. I do nothing to spark any of this.

    although I am 16, I am a freshman in high school due to a depressive episode I had when I first started doing homeschooling. She makes me watch my siblings when she works, and orders me to have the house cleaned by the time she gets back. My siblings are extremely disobedient, and do not listen to both me or her. I spend most of the time trying to tend to them, which allows me to not get any work done, for myself or my house.

    i know about some legal consequences as far as running away from home goes, but I really need a long term solution. Is there anything I can do that can fix this? I’m extremely tired and genuinely do not know how much longer I can do this.

  • #2
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. They can tell you more about how CPS could respond to your situation. If you ever need assistance calling out to CPS to make an abuse or neglect report please call is at 1-800-RUNAWAY.
    You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your mom’s permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your mom. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

    Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
    If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best
    We hope to hear from you soon.
    Be safe,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif