No announcement yet.

My county doesnt say anything about emancipation

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • My county doesnt say anything about emancipation

    Im 15 and ive been doing alot of research, i live in charlotte county Florida and i have been trying to find information on getting a declaration of emancipation because i live in a very toxic household and im often hit or yelled at for things i dont do. My mom is controlling and most likely wont give consent to it. i want to call DCF if i cant get emancipated but ive been told that, that isn't a good idea. Once i get emancipated i plan on staying with my boyfriend and continuing on with school. If i can please get some more information or something to help me get out of this house it would be greatly appreciated. Im always feeling trapped there and i just want to leave. And hopefully stay with a friend or boyfriend so i can continue with the school im in

  • #2
    Hi there,

    Thank you for taking the time to write us here at NRS. It sounds home has been overwhelming and you are looking for a way to leave. You deserve to feel safe and supported no matter where you are living.

    We are not legal experts, but we can help you get a general sense of how emancipation works. Our general understanding is some states offer formal emancipation statutes while others do not unfortunately. Laws vary depending on your location, but in many states a minor can petition the court for emancipation to take responsibility for their own care before they turn 18. Florida does have an emancipation statute and it states the minimum age to file a petition is 16.

    Generally speaking, courts are wary about granting emancipation. In most cases, you would have to prove in court that you have an income and can care for yourself financially, and that you are able to live separately from your parents. It also helps to be in good standing at school. The court will also factor in the mental and physical welfare of your parents in order to establish your best interest. Usually your legal guardian would have to agree to this in court.

    Once you are emancipated, you can legally choose where you live, but you might still find that you cannot sign a lease or build credit until you turn 18. The emancipation process can take several months or up to a year, and may cost money in the form of court fees and other expenses. Usually, the best way to learn about emancipation in your state is to contact a lawyer. You may also find information at your county family court. If you reach out to us by phone or chat, we are happy to provide a legal aid resource so that you can get more specific information from a lawyer.

    Please do not hesitate to call or chat if you have questions or need to talk. We can explore your situation, go over all your options, and come up with a plan and resources to deal with your situation over the phone or on live chat. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp