No announcement yet.

Running away to my boyfriends house ?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Running away to my boyfriends house ?

    Hi. Im 15 and i live in Florida. Im a sophomore and ive been thinking about running away since 6th grade. My mom holds me up to high expectations in school and compares me to my siblings. My boyfriend's parents told me that they would help if anything happened but i don't want to get in trouble. My mom is also crazy and controlling and very good at putting on a face in front of my friends. Ive been smacked, had my hair pulled, and ive had things thrown at me too. Ive threatened to leave before and she told me that i could pack my bags and leave if i wanted and she wouldn't care but that was back in 7th grade. I actually have somewhere to go and i want to take this opportunity but i dont want to get my boyfriend's parents in trouble. I want to call the police but i dont want to leave the state or school im in, i also dont want to seperate my siblings. Is there anything that i can file so im able to? i know i can file for the thing that allows you to move out but do you need a parents signature for that??

  • #2
    Hi there, Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. First and foremost, it sounds like your mom has physically hurt you in the past by pulling your hair, hitting you, and throwing things at you. We want you to know this is never okay. If you are in an unsafe situation please contact your local police department immediately. Your safety is our number one concern and you deserve to feel safe in your own home. Secondly, it seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws. While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your mom may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with, such
    as your boyfriend and his parents, may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. And lastly, it sounds like you are also asking about emancipation which means your parents end legal authority over you before you become a legal adult (at age 1. As stated before, although we are not lawyers, the law in Florida states that your parents or legal guardian are needed to petition the courts for you to become emancipated. For more specifics on the law in your county, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions. You may also be able to find out more information on emancipation laws by contacting your local court house. We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button). If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. Be safe, NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp