Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us through our online forum. It sounds like a really high stress situation. It must be extremely frustrating that your daughter has left and that her mother is involved. Here at the National Runaway Safeline, we are here to support youth and their families, but we do not have the authority that law enforcement has to take reports or put out Amber alerts. Have you tried contacting your local law enforcement? There’s also an organization called NCMEC (National Center for Missing and Exploited Children). They hold a national data base of missing children reports. Their number is 1-800-843-5678. There’s also a hotline for parents that’s run by volunteer parents who have had a child go missing. They may be able to offer you additional support. They are known as Team HOPE (Help Offering Parents Empowerment). They can be reached at 1-866-305-4673.

We hope this information is useful and that your daughter is safe.

Stay strong,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

runaway

I've ran away from home due to emotional distress I need help but am not in any way near a phone to contact people to help me. My school counselor told me there are shelters that are legal for run aways and there's only ones that have to contact parents to know if I can stay there. Please help me

Comment

Re: runaway

Hello,
        Thank you for reaching out to us. We are here to support you and help you find the best options for you.
        It sounds like you are emotionally going through a lot which caused you to run away. Your safety is the most important thing in your situation. Are you in a safe place right now? It would be very helpful if we knew what city and state you are located in so that we can find you a shelter. Your counselor is right; there are shelters that need to contact a parent/guardian. In some cases, they will allow you to stay there for about 72 hours before they have to reach out to a parent/guardian. With that being said, it really depends on the shelter and their policies.
        Again, we’re really glad you reached out to us. It takes a lot for you to ask for help and you are trying to figure out your options which is great to see. If you would like to discuss your situation more and get information for shelters, please do not hesitate to call or chat with us. We’re here to listen, and here to help.
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

I am a runaway and I heard my parents reported me missing. What does that mean?

Comment

• ccsmod1
            ccsmod1 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hello,

Thanks for your post. We are here to listen and support you in any way that we can. Sounds like you have run away from home. We are not legal experts, however we can give some general information. If you are under 18, your parents have a right to call the police and report you missing or as a runaway. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. If you need to talk about your situation, we are here 24/7 to support you. We can help talk through your options and make a plan to deal with your situation and stay safe. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.

How. Can i know if i have case ?I'm runaway

Comment

• ccsmod7
            ccsmod7 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline (NRS). It sounds like you are trying to see if you were filed as a runaway. Here at NRS, we are not legal experts and cannot provide you with specific answers. However, in order to determine if a runaway report was filed you could reach out to the local non-emergency police in your area or contact the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children at 1(800)-843-5678.

We can also talk through options directly through our 24 hour hotline 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929). If you can’t call in, you can chat with us through our website (www.RUNAWAY.org) from 4:30pm-11:30pm Central Time.
            We look forward to your call or chat.

Best of luck to you.

NRS

Question.

How do you become a legal runaway?

Comment

• ccsmod7
            ccsmod7 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hello there, thanks for reaching out today.

Unfortunately, it is not really possible to be a "legal runaway." Running away is usually a status offense rather than being considered illegal. Meaning that it is something you cannot do due to your age, like smoking a cigarette as a minor. So if you are listed as a runaway and you are found by police, you would typically be returned home. Once you reach your state's majority age; which is 18 years old in most states but is older in a few states, you would be considered a legal adult and you would not be considered a runaway if you left home without permission.

Please do not hesitate to call or chat us if you have more questions or if you would like to talk through your situation. We want to help.

Best,

NRS

Look I was considered as a runaway and ended up catching a misdemeanor for failure to ID I was in juvie for one month and on monitor for two and a half months when I went to court to get off of monitor the judge told me that if I left again I would be sent to placement for 15 months since I left the very next day I now have a warrant because I skipped my probation I had one year on it and now I am almost 4 months pregnant if I just have my baby can they take me away still after I have it or if I go to jail will they make me stay for the whole 15 months and my baby gets tooken away from me

Comment

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are in a really tough situation and just want what is best for you and your baby. Unfortunately we are not legal experts and would not be able to speak specifically to your case. If you gave us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) we could look up youth legal aid for you in your area or talk through other options you would have like contacting your case worker or somewhere else to try to get you the answers that you would need. Don't hesitate to give us a call.

NRS

Tell us what you think about your experience!

Comment

my friend is staying with me rigjt now and can not be back with her mother, she has been abusive in the past and my friend is not safe, she doesnt wanna be put back in the house.. i just need help or something. please

Comment

• ccsmod10
                ccsmod10 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey there,

Thanks for reaching out!

It sounds like you are going through a lot, so we are glad you are reaching out to us, because we are here to help! It is really admirable that you are looking for help for you friend and that she has a support system like you.

You mentioned that your friend’s mom has been abusive in the past. Based on that, your friend may have the option to report that abuse to Child Protective Services. If you would like more information on reporting, Child Help, the National Child Abuse Hotline at 1-800-422-4453 or childhelp.org can be an option.

You also mentioned that your friend is staying with you right now, do you know her parents have filed a Runaway Report? While we are not legal experts, we can let you know that there may be some charges pressed against anyone that takes in your friend if she is not of legal age.

If your friend is unable to stay with you and does not wish to explore abuse reporting, our 24/7 hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY can help her find resources or shelters in her area (including some that do not require parental consent).

As we mentioned, we are here to help, but also to listen. The National Runaway Safeline number above can be used to discuss any of the options we sent or help both of you think of other options!

Best of luck

We hope this response was helpful!  We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum.  Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey:  https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

How can I remove a runaway order my mom filed on me 10 years ago , every time I go to Mexico and come back to the USA I get stopped for a few hours till sheriffs come and talk to me about it and then I get released and I don’t want this to happen every single time I go in a out of the country

Comment

• ccsmod5
                ccsmod5 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey! Thanks for reaching out. That’s a frustrating situation. We suggest reaching out to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children to let them know that you are now a legal adult and that you are not missing. Their number is 1-800-843-5678. Good luck!
                We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

If someone I know ran away when she was 17 but they considered her still as a juvenile, and she try’s to leave when she’s 18 will she be able to ?

Comment

• ccsmod16
                ccsmod16 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hello, thanks for posting! We are here to help as best we can.
                As far as leaving home, 18 is the legal age in most states when you can leave home. Leaving before that, your parents may be able to file a runaway report; however, it depends on the police department and if they accept run reports for 17 year olds and how they handle the situation if they do accept the report. You can call your local police station and ask anonymously about how they handle runaway reporting. We can also conference call with you if you call us here: 1-800-786-2929. If someone is 18 (in most states) they can leave without permission because they are considered an adult, though there are a few exceptions like Mississippi and Alabama.

If you have any more questions, feel free to call us 24/7 at 1-800-786-2929 or reach out on chat when it is open.

My son knows a kid that was a foster kid. He was unhappy with his current foster parents but did not want to get sent away and separated from his brother and all his friends he has made in school the last several years. He is 17 and has been hiding out for a while but wants to get back into school but he is worried someone might try to pick him up. As a 17 year old does he have any rights or can they just take him if they want? I would appreciate any and all help. Thanks.

Comment

• ccsmod2
                ccsmod2 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hello There,
                Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline we are here to help and here to listen. It is great that you are reaching out on behalf of your son’s friend, it shows how you are a caring and supportive person. We are not legal experts but we do have general knowledge of the laws. Because he is a minor his legal guardian can still file a runaway report (foster parent). If the police found them they would most likely bring them back home. In some cases the police may not take a runaway report on a 17 year old because they are close to being a legal adult. You can always call your local non-emergency police department and ask them how they would handle runaway reports. Also in many cases you cannot find out if there is a runaway report on a youth if you are not their legal guardian but it depends on the police department. As far as school goes you can always contact the school and explain the situation often times schools will work with kids in difficult situations to allow them to enroll in school.
                We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any more questions please feel free to give us a call at 1800RUNAWAY, we are here 24/7.
                Take Care,
                NRS

Is there a number to call to report a 15 year old runaway anomiously?

Comment

• ccsmod2
                ccsmod2 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hello There,
                Thank you for contacting The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. Often time’s parents or legal guardians are the ones to report if someone has ran away. You could call your local non-emergency police department and see if you would be able to report a runaway anonymously. Another option is if you know their legal guardian’s phone number you could try and call them and see if they know about the runaway situation.
                We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions please give us a call, we are here 24/7. Best of luck
                NRS

I am a parent of three kids my middle daughter best friend got kick out of her unccels house she has no family here her mother is in California. . I want to help her but I dont want to get in trouble at the same time of helping her out. I just want the best for her but I dont want her to feel like no one wants her around. please help me.

Comment

• ccsmod6
                ccsmod6 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi there thanks for reaching out to us here at NRS. It sounds like you truly care about you daughter’s friend and trying to help her find a safe place to stay. It sounds like she is incredibly hard situation and she is lucky to have an adult like you supporting her. We are here 24/7 by phone (1-800-786-2929) and chat on our website at 1800runaway.org to talk through options with you.

We aren’t legal experts, but if she is under the general age of adulthood of 18 years old in the US and has been kicked out by her uncle that is illegal if he is her caretaker/guardian/has custody of her. He has the legal responsibility of housing her if he is her guardian and she has the right to report that he has kicked her out to the police.
                That being said, if she does come to live with you and/or someone else and her uncle tries to file a runaway report for her saying she ran away when he kicked her out, you have the right to inform the police of that information. You mentioned that you would not want to get in trouble for helping her which is understandable. The main way someone would get in trouble for housing a youth is if they are a runaway/have a runaway report filed on them and they are found at your house. As we mentioned above, as she has been kicked out she is not considered a runaway.
                Something that may help is to maybe reach out to the non-emergency police department in your city to ask some questions about the legality of being kicked out or running away. You do not have to talk about your daughter’s friend’s situation and may ask confidential questions without providing information on the friend. That may be a way to get more concrete legal information about the situation without having to tell the police about the situation specifically.
                We are always here to support you and your daughter’s friend. It takes a lot of bravery to reach out and we commend you for trying to help her as much as you can. Don’t hesitate to reach out to us again via phone (1-800-RUNAWAY) or chat (1800runaway.org) if you want to brainstorm more or ask any other questions. Your daughter’s friend is always welcome to do the same as well if she wants to talk about what has been going on. We wish you the best and hope to hear from you soon!

Best, NRS

Question:
              my best friend went to pick her sister up and after picking her up she got threatening phone calls to get the cops called. It was no one in her family but a friend of her moms. They live hours away and can’t take her back because of school. We don’t believe she is really reported as a runaway because if that were the case her mother and family would be calling for her to come back. Instead only this one man called.

Comment

• ccsmod2
                ccsmod2 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hello There,
                Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. That seems like a difficult situation to be in.
                We are not legal experts but one option you could consider is calling the police to see if a runaway report has been filed. Usually it would need to be the youth to call or their legal guardian.
                We hope this will answer your question. Please give us a call if you have any more questions or would like to explore more options. Best of luck!
                NRS
            Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            x
            Working...
            X