No announcement yet.

Moving to a different state/emancipation

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Moving to a different state/emancipation

    I’m 16 in maine, i will be 17 nov 11th, and i am heavily considering becoming emancipated, and if so, i would live with my partner who lives in NW Philadelphia, PA.

    I’m curious if its possible/legal for my mother to just let me move out(most likely no), and I’m also wondering how it would work with me living in a different state.

    My mother is emotionally abusive, my stepdad as well, i cant live with my father(he’s almost completely absent), and I’ve always wanted to move out of state. I think this is a good opportunity to leave my family, and finally get out of such a negative situation.

    Please let me know anything important.

    PS: i am and have been doing research on the laws surrounding emancipation, my main fear is that it wont go through. If anyone has been emancipated(preferably in Maine) please let me know how that process works.

    Thank you

  • #2
    Hey there,

    Thanks for reaching out, it takes courage to ask for help when you need it. It sounds like you have been dealing with a difficult homelife for a long time. You don’t deserve to be treated like that by anyone. It’s good you noticed the negative environment and are willing to fight for a better life for yourself.

    We aren’t legal experts, but our resources say a 16 year old can get emancipated in Maine. You will file a petition with the court and then may be asked to participate in mediation between you and your parents. If that is unsuccessful, a hearing will take place and a judge will decide if they consider you mature enough to be emancipated. That seems like broad information and can leave questions unanswered. Here is the number to a legal resource in Maine that can help answer questions if you have them. Maine Lawyers Project (207) 774-4348. Usually, courts look for signs that you can be independent, like do you have somewhere safe to live and a way to make money. It is an understandable fear worrying if it will happen or not. It sounds like you have looked at all your options and are being mature making the best decision for yourself.

    You also asked about your mom letting you live somewhere else. If she would agree, that would be easier than emancipation. It’s called an alternate living situation. Every city has a different way of handling these. It could be as simple as getting it in writing, or going to the police station to fill out an official form.

    If you have any questions, or want to talk more detailed about your situation we are available for call or chat 24/7 ( or 1-800-786-2929). Here to listen, here to help.

    Stay safe,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp