No announcement yet.

17, Wisconsin

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 17, Wisconsin

    I am 17 in a half. I have had a lot of mental abuse and one case of physical abuse and 1 almost got physical. I can't stand how manipulative my mom is and she married a drinking step dad who is abusive to me and my brothers. I will be done with school in less than two weeks and have been passed around from family member to family member. I have nothing at my moms house no bed nothing because I moved everything out with my moms consent. The thing is I don't want anything to do with my family anymore. All I feel is dread and despair when I'm around them because they are basically my mothers eyes and ears, everything goes back to her. It's almost cult like, I can't tell them how I'm feeling or be honest about my opinions, just for speaking my mind I have been threatened with going to the mental hospital. So what I'm asking is can I live at my boyfriends house (he is also 17) his parents are totally fine with it, I just don't know what to do if I don't get consent from my mom because I was thinking of doing a written contract in so she will leave me alone and can't call cops on me if I get permission to live there and have a witness and then have a notary stamp it. But what if she doesn't go with it what can I do..If I run off what will happen... again I live in Wisconsin..

  • #2
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. This is something you should speak to your boyfriend's parents about. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    The easiest way to leave home is with your parents' permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button). If you would like to look into further emotional support options, you can text with a crisis worker at the National Alliance on Mental Illness 24/7 by texting "NAMI" to 741741.
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp