No announcement yet.

help with dad

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • help with dad

    I am 14 years old. my dad has, for the past 2 years especially, been treating me terribly, with consistent yelling, screaming, beating, mocking, bullying on a weekly basis, if not more.. I am often accused of things I haven't done and he often starts arguments with me for no reasons. He has also been threatening to call the cops on me several times the past few months, and he claims if I ever contacted police about him, I would be the one to be arrested, he also takes away my electronics and gives me no viable way to contact authorities. I also have tried contacting 911 once when I was getting beat before, in which he has broken my phone before I had enough time to call them. I am not intending on running away but I am posting here to ask for advice about what I should do legally. Thank you

  • #2
    Hi there,

    Thank you so much for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline! We are sorry to hear that you’re having to deal with this at home right now. You do not deserve to be treated this way by your dad. You deserve to be treated with respect, compassion, and understanding. It sounds like your dad has a lot of pent up anger that he is wrongly taking out on you. It takes a lot of strength to ask for help, and it took a lot of courage to try calling the police about how your dad treated you. You mention that your dad said if you call the police you would be the one arrested. This is not true. You are not breaking any laws by calling the police to tell them how your dad treats you, because you’ve done nothing wrong in this situation. If you feel like you are in a safe place to call them again, you can call them to tell them about your situation. They might ask you some questions about your dad, fill out an abuse report, and may reach out to CPS to do a home check to make sure that you stay safe. We can help you make a report too if you don’t want to call the police.

    If you feel safe doing this, it might be a good idea to keep a journal of every time he beats you or treats you badly, and try to document with pictures if he leaves marks or bruises. This would help CPS get a better understanding of your home situation right now. You can reach out to ChildHelp at 1-800-422-4453, or chat with them on their website. They might be able to give you more resources and help with your specific situation. Again, thank you for reaching out to the NRS! We are happy to see that you are taking steps and formulating a plan to help keep yourself safe. We are always here 24/7 if you want to talk more about what’s going on at home. You can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat with us on our website.

    Stay strong,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove