•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod13
    replied
    Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us here at NRS. While we are not legal experts, we can speak generally on this. Once you turn 18, you will be considered a legal adult with the legal freedom to choose where you live. This means that your father cannot force you back home and you would not be committing a crime by leaving home. If your dad continues to threaten your safety or your friends' safety, you can call the police for assistance.

It sounds like your dad can be very abusive and volatile at home. It would be helpful to have a solid plan in place before you leave so that you can stay as safe as possible. We are happy to support you in this as much as possible by being a safe space for you to talk through your plan and by providing any needed resources. If you are concerned your dad might try to harass or threaten you in any way, we can refer you to legal aid so that you can speak with a lawyer if necessary.

We are available 24/7 for immediate support by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or through live chat at 1800runaway.org.

Best of luck,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic leaving home the day i turn 18

leaving home the day i turn 18

I will be leaving my home for a trip I planned for the week of my birthday with my boyfriend and some friends. My father has been toxic my entire life, I've seen the way he treats women and his children. In the past he's been very abusive and I even got put into foster care because of it, I want to start a new life without him in it because my mother left when I was very young and never came back. He causes my depression and anxiety. If i leave the day of my birthday and enjoy my trip then live with my friends would he be able to harass them in any way? if i turn 18 the same day i leave i dont want to be brought back. He's made false missing person reports in the past and has tried to get me arrested for things I didn't do. I dont want him to ruin the relationships ive built with my friends and my boyfriend. help me please.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X