turning 18 the day I leave my toxic family

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turning 18 the day I leave my toxic family

Hello , I am 17 will be 18 in 6 months I have a place too go I have a full time job make plenty too pay pills an care for myself only problem is my parents won’t let me leave when I’m 18 they said because I have seizures I can not go no where my girlfriend knows what too do with the situation when I have seizures she been there for me since I was 14 having seizures she was always the only one too know what too do not my parents how do I got about moving out when I’m 18.

Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to share your situation with us here at NRS. It sounds like you are in a really tough spot while making your plans to move out when you turn 18. The good news is that once you turn 18 you will be considered a legal adult in most states (exceptions are Mississippi, Alabama, and Nebraska) and this means you will have the legal freedom to choose where you live.

Having a solid plan in place could help with allowing you to move out with the least amount of stress as possible. It would be helpful to think of where you will and how you will physically move out (if you have a car to use, friends or family members who might be able to help, etc...). You did mention that you are already working full time and can financially support yourself which is a great start. If possible, it would be useful to find your ID, social security card, and birth certificate and keep them in a safe place until you leave. It is possible to replace these documents but it can be challenging. If you are worried that your parents will physically try to prevent you from leaving, it could be smart to plan ahead for this. Perhaps finding a time when they are not home to pack your belongings and move them out or begin to gradually move your things out of the home without them noticing.

We are available for immediate support 24/7 by phone at 1-800-786-2929 and through live chat if you would like to talk more, need any resources, or you want to brainstorm a plan.

Good luck and stay safe,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X