No announcement yet.

18, Nebraska, Wants to Move out

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 18, Nebraska, Wants to Move out


    I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask this question, but it is pretty urgent:
    I am about to turn 18 on Thursday and I have been living with my brother and his wife for about a year now. They currently live in Nebraska but my legal guardians live back in Kansas, where the age of majority is 18 instead of 19. My brother and sister in law are Southern Baptists, and they're very good and welcoming people, however some personal preferences of mine conflict with their beliefs. This can create a sort of tension and a toxic environment to be living with. They never yell or anything, I just feel like an unnecessary burden and their opinions can be extremely hurtful.

    So, my question is, could I legally move out without their consent? Technically, they are not my legal guardians but my sister-in-law's name is on my bank account and insurance until I turn 18. However, I do pay for both of those independently. Would emancipation be something I'd have to do? Or is it based upon my parents' back in Kansas?

    Thank you for your time! If you don't have the answers I'm looking for, if you know of any other resources that could help, please lead me in that direction. I would not like to stay there longer than I have to.

  • #2
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions. You did mention 19 is the age of majority in Kansas, but it is best to ask legal experts how they would handle that situation.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by forum to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif