Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Laws about running away as a disabled adult in Texas?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod6
    replied

Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We’re sorry to hear that your living situation has gotten to the point where you need to leave home. It is not appropriate for your mom to be treating you so unfairly and hurtfully.

While we are not legal experts, we do have a great deal of experience working with runaways. It is our understanding that as a 19 year old in Texas, you are considered a legal adult with the right to live where you please. However, it sounds like your mom may have extended custody over you because of your disability. This might mean that you are still considered a minor and your mom still has the right to determine where you live. If that were the case and you did leave home, your mom could file a runaway report with the police and they could return you back home if they found you.

We would like to talk in greater detail about your situation as it is highly specific. We can connect you with some legal services that might be able to answer your questions more precisely. If you are interested in doing so or asking more questions, please call us on our hotline 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Laws about running away as a disabled adult in Texas?

Laws about running away as a disabled adult in Texas?

I'm a 19 year old autistic person in Texas, I am currently working to run away from home and live with a friend. I will not be alerting my parents as they're very manipulative and abusive. She currently collecting my disability money, and has claimed that I'm not well enough to handle my own finances.

Is there any law about leaving home as a disabled adult? I just want to make sure that my friend won't get arrested for kidnapping or something because of me.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X