Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is moving out without parental consent at 17 legal in Louisiana?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is moving out without parental consent at 17 legal in Louisiana?

I’m in Louisiana. I’m currently 16. I’m gay and my parents won’t accept me for who I am, neither will they let me get a job to be able to financially support myself. I could’ve had my license by now but they refused to let me go to driver’s ed and waited until after the virus outbreak to let me go, so I’m not going to have a permit until November. I feel that I’m lacking a lot of freedoms that other people my age have. I’m planning on moving out next year after I turn 17. I know where all my legal documents are stored and I plan on taking them with me so I don’t have future identification issues. I have a friend in New York that I plan on moving into an apartment with. I do school online so I’m just planning on completing high school while living in New York. I also plan on getting a job at a fast food place there to help support us. Is there anything else I should consider or bring? Are there any legal issues that would allow my mother to force me to come back home?

Hi there,

Thank you so much for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline (NRS). It sounds like you are going through a lot and your parents may make you feel very isolated. We really appreciate you reaching out, we understand asking for help can take a lot of courage. We are not experts on the law, but generally 18 is the age youth are allowed to leave home without parents permission. Generally, parents are supposed to file runaway reports with the police. It is not illegal to leave home, but this means if you were to end up in the custody of the police, you would most likely be returned home. There are also laws called Harboring a Runaway. These laws are meant to hold folks accountable who house youth who have runaway. In a lot of states, 17 is a gray area. Some states will return a 17 year old home and some places will let youth stay where they are if they are safe and supported. The best way to find out what how police in your area would respond is by reaching out to them. You can anonymously reach out to them, or you can give us a call or chat through our website and we can do this for you. Our phone number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) and you can find our chat by clicking the chat button on our website.

Leaving home is a big decision and there is a lot to consider. It is always helpful to think about ways you can support yourself and keep yourself safe. Having those identifying documents or an ID can be helpful for finding housing and jobs. If plans with your friend do not work out, you can always give us a call or chat to brainstorm, talk through options, or connect you with resources in your area. There are youth shelters that we may be able to help connect you with if there are any available in your area. We are here to support you in any way that we can. We are open 24/7 and we are completely confidential. Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions. We hope to hear from you soon!

Best of luck,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X