No announcement yet.

14 NC Considering CPS but Wary

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 14 NC Considering CPS but Wary

    My mother has a history of abuse and I've been in foster care before, however she got us back when I turned about 8 and I've been living with her since. I have an older sister who's now 18 but she's not independent and still lives with us. I've been considering calling social services again to legally be placed in a different home but I'm worried about a variety of things. First and foremost I need to leave as soon as my mother is contacted by social services, if I stay after that I'll get beaten. On the other hand I don't want my mother to have to get negatively impacted, no child abuse felonies. I just need a non-conspicuous way to leave while remaining in school. Getting emancipated isn't likely and I'm scared if I were to ask her to relinquish guardianship of me she'll lash out and beat me. She hasn't beat me since I came back but I fear if she starts again it'll keep happening. She's been verbally abusing me and cutting me off from my friends whenever she thinks it's warranted. I know parents aren't like this, and I know it could be better, and this is better from when I was six, but it's too much. I just want to leave. Is there anyway for social services to take me immediately? I don't need anything but my phone (which I myself bought) and some clothes.

  • #2
    Hi there,

    Thank you so much for reaching out to us here at NRS. It seems like you have been through so much. You do not deserve to be hit, beat, or verbally abused by a parent who is supposed to love and support you. Reaching out can take a lot of courage and thinking about calling social services is a big step.

    If any harm or abuse is happening at home, you have the right to report it. We are not experts on the issue, but generally once it's been reported, social services will either decide whether or not to take the case and further investigate. If they do take the case, they will send out someone from child protective services to do an investigation (interviewing people in the household) and from there they will decide the level of danger within the household. It generally ranges from no danger (the youth stays in the home, some services are given, and the case is closed), moderate danger (they will provide family services with possible temporary displacement) and high danger (they will remove the youth from the home and offer certain services). To our knowledge, it is very difficult to be removed from the home immediately, unless your life is in immediate danger.

    If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering. Please be safe and reach out soon by phone or chat so that we may help.

    Again, we are not legal experts, but we do have some general knowledge about leaving home. The easiest way to leave home before you are 18 is with the permission of your parent. Your parent is allowed to give you permission to live with a trusted family or friend. However, they are within their rights to revoke that permission at any time and have you returned home. The other options we are aware of are child abuse reporting and emancipation. Emancipation can be a lengthy process and in states that have it, youth generally have to be 16. We would be happy to explore any of these options with you further, talk about a plan, or connect you with legal resources if you feel you could benefit from talking with us more. You can give us a chat through our website or give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We hope to hear from you soon.

    Best of luck,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif