No announcement yet.

17 years old - Utah

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 17 years old - Utah

    My name is Julia. I am 17 years old, and I live with my mom and my older sister (20). I desperately want to get out of my house since my mom is very emotionally abusive, to the point where my therapist is concerned for my safety. I have a steady place that I could stay at for a few months, and then another place lined up after that. However, my mom refuses to let me live there. She says she hates me, and she wants me out of her house, but “she gets to choose where I live”. I am dying here and I just want to be able to breathe. Is there any way I can legally move out without having to get emancipated? My mom would probably kill me before I could even get the papers signed.

  • #2
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

    We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. You don't deserve to be abused in any way. It is not your fault.
    You have the right to want to be treated fairly.
    As of right now you’re feeling like leaving is your best option but there are slim chances your mother will agree to let you leave.

    It sounds like the therapist you are seeing has concerns for your safety at home.
    You might consider discussing options with them of filing an abuse report with child services in hopes of being removed from the home. A therapist is someone that can file a report on your behalf.

    Another would be to speak with her about what she would be agreeable with as far as alternative housing.
    You might also consider looking into the law as to what age is it legal for someone to leave a parent or guardians home without permission. You most likely can get this information by contacting the non-emergency number of your local police department. Their contact information should be located online.

    We hope that we have been helpful. You are welcome to contact NRS at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or if you would like to speak more about your situation.

    Take care,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif