No announcement yet.

I want to leave my house at 16

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I want to leave my house at 16

    Hi im turning 15 in a few days and i really want to be able to leave this house as soon as possible but i realize my safest chance is to wait another year and try to pull legal matters into the picture. Im transmale and queer and have been facing a lot of judgement in my house. I've gotten in trouble for it and called a fake and dumb and stupid for feeling such a way and have been facing emotional abuse. I also had faced sexual harassment from someone i used to call a friend from school. She was a girl and my parents see me only as a 'girl' so they yelled at me for being a lesbian and that i was asking for it. They know how uncomfortable those events made me in ways of physical contact yet they still will touch me (shoulders, thigh, hip, head) usually when walking past me but its very uncomfortable. I have tried to tell them its uncomfortable but they told me I was overplaying what happened and that they are my parents and they had there rights and control over me as their child. It's a lot of stuff i just want to get away from. I have a self harm problem and my parents get mad at me for it and how it's causing them so many problems at the doctors and such. I don't know what to do anymore. I'm scared of them and of staying here long. I cant hold conversations or look them in the eye without feeling like crying or having a panic attack. If i was to leave the house at 16 and say it was bad for my mental health and there was emotional abuse could I win and get out of there?

  • #2
    re: I want to leave my house at 16


    Thanks for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. You made a great first step to finding the help that you may need. It sounds like you are going through a lot and the people around you are not being supportive. You deserve to be treated with respect, to experience acceptance and to feel safe. As far as leaving at 16, 18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. You may be able to do some research to see if your state offers emancipation of minors. You would need to go through the court system and have a judge grant you emancipation through that process.

    We want you to know that you are strong for having gone through so much already. It is perfectly okay to deviate from what others or the common population believe to be “normal”. You’re bravery and resilience is so admirable. You are so strong for having gone through so much without having the acceptance that you do deserve for just being you. Remember that you are not alone. If you ever want to talk more about what you are experiencing or get additional support we are here 24/7 at 1800-RUNAWAY or our live chat service. The GLBT National Hotline at 1888-843-4564 is another option to gain great support from those that are familiar with the issues and experiences of those that are also a part of the LGBTQ community. You can access their website link bellow to utilize all the other possibly useful resources they have to offer:

    One really great resource for all survivors of sexual assault or abuse is RAINN (Rape Abuse Incest National Network). You can call them any time 24/7 at 1-800-656-4673, or go to to use their online hotline. RAINN is the National Sexual Assault Hotline and has a lot of services, support and resources that you may find helpful.

    Take care and be safe,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove