No announcement yet.

18 year old wants to leave home but can’t

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 18 year old wants to leave home but can’t

    So, I just turned 18 and I want to leave my home and go live with my boyfriend in Hawaii (I live in Michigan currently), but my parents are really restricting on what I do and who I spend my time with. They have been emotionally abusive most my life. I have medicine I have to take daily and I’m not sure how to switch it over there in Hawaii if I do leave. My mom has always had full control over that and she still makes me take my meds in front of her. I’m scared to leave but I’m even more scared that I’ll be stuck here forever if I don’t leave. I’m not even financially stable, but my boyfriend will take care of me if I do leave with him. I don’t know what to do?

  • #2
    Hey there,
    Since you are 18 you are more than likely considered a legal adult which means that you can move out if you want to and you won’t be considered a runaway. As a legal adult, you have a right to make your own decisions about where you live. We can help you make a plan for how to deal with your situation and help you find resources to land on your feet. Having a plan for where you will live and how you will survive once you move out can be very helpful. Moving can be a huge step, and you don’t have to be alone. Some steps you can take towards independence might be to find employment if you don’t have an income, or to save up money for moving expenses. It can also be helpful to research rents in your area, find a roommate, or make a budget. Another thing you might want to consider is what kinds of things you depend on your parents for currently such as tuition expenses for school, or health insurance, and whether they would continue to provide those things after you leave. There may be social service agencies in your area that can help meet some of these needs, such as Transitional Living Programs, a kind of shelter where young adults can live and get services to help them transition to independent living. We are here to listen and help however we can.
    In regards to your healthcare questions, we do not specialize in healthcare, and so we would recommend you reach out to your healthcare provider to discuss switching your medication and insurance.

    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

    Be safe,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove