Can I runaway on probation I’m 17 an from Iowa

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I runaway on probation I’m 17 an from Iowa

I just need to know if I will get in trouble with the law since I’m on probation for stealing currently but I’m 17 and I live in Iowa I couldn’t find anything online and I need an answer urgently there’s a lot of home stuff going on

Hi there,

Thank you so much for reaching out. We understand asking for help can take a lot of courage, and we're glad you felt safe enough to contact us through our forum.

We are by no means legal experts, but we do have some general knowledge on runaway laws across the country. It seems like the age of majority in Iowa may be 18, which means a youth under 18 would technically need a parent/guardian's approval to leave. Running away is not illegal, but parents/guardians are expected to file runaway reports with their local police. If you left without the permission of your parent/guardians, this would mean the police would be made aware of your status, and if you were to end up in their custody they would most likely return you home. We are unsure how your current probation would be effected by leaving home, however it could be a good idea to contact your local, non-emergency police line or a local, legal resource. A legal resource may be better suited to give you more direct legal advice that is appropriate for your state and current probationary status. We would be glad to help you contact your local police department or connect you with a community legal resource if you give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or you could live chat us through our website (https://www.1800runaway.org/).

We hope this information helped inform your decision as your are navigating this trying time in your life. Please do not hesitate to reach out for more information, resources, or with any questions in general. We are open 24/7/365 and we are completely confidential. We hope to hear form you soon.

Best of luck,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X