Parental Rights termination

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parental Rights termination

Hello. I'm a 14 year old girl with a physically, emotionally and verbally abusive father. My parents got divorced when I was 7 because my father is awful, he mistreats us. He decided to move him and his 20 year old wife to the same state as my mother, brother and I live in. Apparently we also have to go over there and visit for a day or two now. I can't stand this man, he's awful. We've had many meetings and such and I tried to get him to the come to therapy with me. But he threatened to punch my therapist in the face...so we decided to not bring him to therapy any more. I don't know why it's taken so long but I took a field trip with my school to a court house and the judge was talking about terminating a parents rights? My father has choked and hit my brother, shoved me, pinned me against a wall, spits on us and has elbowed me repeatedly in the face and is also emotionally and verbally abusive as well. I really don't know if you guys have any information but I don't know where else to go. I really want to go to court and get his rights terminated but for some reason my mom still has faith he can change or something. He's so awful, he'll never change because it's been like this for awhile now. I don't want to go over to his house anymore, see him or talk to him. He makes me sick. But I'm nervous the if my mother gives in and we end up going it won't work out I(we don't win) and we'll be stuck with him. If we don't win the case I'm extremely worried that when my bro and I visit my father will be even more awful, which is what would probably happen if we lost. I'm just so nervous about that and because it's a very big decision and step. Please help. I'm conflicted, confused and really upset. Thank you.

Re: Parental Rights termination

Hi,
    Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like things are really difficult with visitations with your dad. Family and home should be a place where you feel safe and loved. We are here to help you explore your options.

You shared that your father has physically, verbally and emotionally abused you and your siblings. Also that you are scared to do your visitations with your father because of how he treats you. You do not deserve to be treated this way. You deserve to be and feel safe. There are several options available to you. You have the right to file an abuse report against your father by contacting the local police at 9-1-1 or Child Protective Services (CPS). You can also contact Child Help which is a National Child Abuse Hotline at 1-800-422-4453. If you chose to file an abuse report, generally someone would come out to speak with you and your family to figure out what is going on at home. This could result in your father losing his visitation rights and no longer being allowed to see you and your siblings.

You also shared that on a school field trip you learned about terminating parent’s rights. While we are not legal experts, generally the process to terminate parent’s rights would start with some of the above steps mentioned, to show that your father is unfit to care for you and be around you. If you would like more information on this option, we can help you look up legal resources in your area so you could contact a legal expert directly.

It’s understandable to be worried about what might happen if you do report your father. We cannot say what will happen when you report him, however reporting him is one option for getting the help you need. It must be really scary asking for help, but you have many options.

You mentioned that your mom thinks your dad will change so it may help to try speaking to other people you trust, in addition to your mom. For example, you could consider is sharing what is going on with someone you trust, like a family member, friend or someone at school (teacher, counselor, coach). You are worthy and you deserve to feel safe in your home and around your family members. We are here to support you.

If you would like further help exploring any of these options or others in more detail, please feel free to reach out to us directly by calling us at 1-800- RUNAWAY or chatting with us live on our website at www.1800.runaway.org. We look forward to hearing from you.

Take care,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X