Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PLEASE READ- 18 moving out (consent ?!?)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PLEASE READ- 18 moving out (consent ?!?)

I have shared with my family that I am moving out when I am 18 and I am still in high school . I am financially stable and already have a place to go. My step father just told me I need my
    Moms consent to move out even at 18 because I haven't graduated high school yet !?! I live in Kansas is this true ????

Re: PLEASE READ- 18 moving out (consent ?!?)

Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are going through a frustrating time and it is great you are looking at all resources.

Here at NRS, we are not legal experts, but we can speak in general terms. The age of majority is 18 in Kansas, which means at 18 you are legally an adult in Kansas. So you can move out freely without having to have permission from either parent, regardless if you have graduated high school.

That is great that you are financially stable and have a place to go. Sounds like you have been thinking about moving out for some time now. Living on your own for the first time is an exciting time with lots of new responsibility. It might be helpful having a solid plan about what you are planning on doing it might be a good idea so that you can think about what is reasonably possible for you to do and want isn’t. Since you have stated that already have a plan to living, looking at different factors can help with creating that plan (i.e what's your role in the house, are you going to be able to travel to work, how long are you going to live there, will you be paying your share of the bills, what happens if you realize down the road that you can't live together and they kicks you out, etc). If you need continued help with looking at alternative housing or talking through options for this transitional time we are here either through chat or via phone.

We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) if you would like to give us a call. We also have online chat services that are available from 4:30 PM-11:30 PM (CST), 7 days a week if you would prefer talking with someone that way instead.

Good luck.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X