I'm 15 and in Nj

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm 15 and in Nj

Is it illegal to run away? If so, what happens if I get caught? How does this emancipation work?

Re: I'm 15 and in Nj

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you’ve been going through a hard time, and we’re here to help you and support you in any way we can.

We’re not legal experts here at NRS, but generally, it is not illegal to run away from home. But your parents could file a runaway report, the police could bring you home if you get caught, and the people you’re staying with could possibly get in legal trouble. Each city and state may have different policies and laws on runaways. If you haven’t already, you could consider calling your local non-emergency police phone number and asking about their policies on runaways.

Again, we’re not legal experts, but generally emancipation can be a lengthy and expensive process. Here is some basic information we have about emancipation in New Jersey:

“New Jersey does not have a formal statute for emancipation but MAY be considered emancipated when the minor
    a. has been married
    b. has entered military service
    c. has a child or is pregnant; or
    d. has been previously declared by the court or an administrative agency”

We also have some legal resources that you could use to ask questions and get more detailed information about emancipation. There are many resources that could help you get legal information about running away and emancipation, help you work through conflict at home, or help you with anything else you may be struggling with. If you want more information about resources, or if you’d like to talk more about what’s been going on, you can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929) or chat with us online.

Again, thank you for contacting us. You’ve shown strength by reaching out for help. If you ever need anything in the future please feel free to call us or chat with us online. We’re always here to listen and here to help.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X